Hacking Problem with Multi Mod Manager

Denrayr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently discovered modmii. I modded my sons wii without any problems; however, I have tried to mod two seperate wii's since then. On both occasions, the method modmii used indicated that I would have to hack the wii using an alternative method. This method uses modmii to install a batch of wad files. The problem I am having is that once modmii loads, the wiimote loses its connection with the wii. I read that the problem could be that the controller is a wiimote plus controller. On both wiis I have tried using a standard wiimote with the same results. Neither wii has gamecube ports, so I can't try that method. Multi mod manager is version 13.4 which seems to be the most recent version. Any advice?

Denrayr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry my post is a bit confusing. I figured out my own stupidity. The original issue was that hackmii indicated that bootmii would be unable to be installed as boot2. I thought this meant the alternate method using multi mod manager would be necessary.

My new question is what is the side effect of not being able to install bootmii as boot2?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
boot2 is launched before the Wii's system menu.
Having bootmii launched instead of boot2 allows you to launch bootmii/homebrew channel directly when powering the console even if your System menu is corrupted/bricked/not working for any reason.

To have the same effect without bootmii on Boot2, you can install priiloader.
it install itself at the place of the system menu, and rename the system menu.

Original:
boot0 > boot1 > boot2 > system menu

Bootmii:
boot0 > boot1> Bootmii SD card > System menu/Bootmii/Homebrew channel

Priiloader:
boot0 > boot1 > boot2 > Priiloader > System menu/Homebrew channel/Any homebrew you want.

the real advantage of bootmii:
Like you see, using bootmii on boot2, it launch pretty earlier in the boot sequence, and you can recover any brick by reinstalling a copy of your NAND.
while bootmii installed as IOS, you need to be able to launch the homebrew channel first, then load bootmii from there to restore a copy of your NAND.

Bootmii is used only to backup/restore your NAND. if you don't do anything wrong, you should never need it (I never used it since launch day)

Denrayr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply. So to clarify, on these particular wii's it isn't possible to install bootmii as boot2? This isn't a deal breaker, it just makes it less likely, but not impossible to recover from a brick scenario?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D