Private header questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mashers, Jun 11, 2015.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    If I have understood correctly, playing 3DS titles online with the Sky3DS can be dangerous because Nintendo can detect the lack of a private header and ban me. If I have a private header from a cart then it will appear to Nintendo as though I am using the original cart. Am I correct so far?

So, does this mean that I have to extract the private header from every cart I play so I can play it on the Sky3DS, or do I extract one private header from just one cart and use it with all my games?

2. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    You can extract one private header from just one cart and use it with all of your games. That's the safest way to play online with Sky3DS.

3. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    Yes you are correct.

So far the theory goes that you can use one header for all titles so long as no more than one of them is online at a given time

E.g. say I took the header from my retail cart of Mario Kart 7 and injected it into all my ROMs. According to the theory that's widely accepted on here that should be OK so long as Nintendo can see that there's only one of the header online at once.

EDIT: It's speculation though. No one's been banned or faced any problems this way as of yet, but that isn't to say that Nintendo will never be checking for title-header mismatches in the future.

Ericzander likes this.
  4. Ericzander

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Oh and for the record, to get a private header you need either a Gateway or a Powersave. If you have neither, then shoot me a PM because I can help you.

It's really unfortunate that the people over at Sky3DS don't mention stuff like this. They don't seem to care that their default template is getting people banned.

5. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks guys. I was wondering about the mismatch between the header and the actual game. Presumably Nintendo are logging the unique private header and which game is being played and could identify that the same header is being used for different games? Oh and are there documented accounts of Sky3DS users being banned?

I'm thinking of getting Sky3DS so will look at the Powersaves method for extracting the private header from one of my carts first.

Thanks again for the info :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh sorry one other question, does the header have to be from a game which actually supports online multiplayer? Or will any cart do?

6. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You extract it from one game you own (important)
    Every game's header will do.

7. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thank you! :)

dedChar likes this.
  8. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Ok so I've just thought, why is the private header thing only an issue for Sky3DS? Presumably any flash cart which plays 3DS ROMs has the potential to run a ROM image without a private header. So why is this apparently such an issue for Sky3DS but not GW?

9. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    GW has the same issue, but you can use .cia files (installable games) in emuNAND (NAND copy on sdcard, updatable), which don't have the issue of headers.

10. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Gateway users also have the ability to rip their own roms / headers without having to buy anything else (powersaves).

dedChar likes this.
  11. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks guys. More new stuff to read and learn about ^_^ I'm seriously rusty when it comes to modding!

12. Ericzander

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    It's alright, we're here to help. But yeah, Gateway users also get banned because they didn't get private headers. It's just easier for them to obtain them than for Sky users.

13. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Cheers :)

Now I know the risks and how to avoid them I might invest in a Sky since my 9.8 n3DS won't work with a GW.

Ericzander likes this.