Preventing Uninstallion of Programs

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aeladya, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011
  1. Aeladya
    OP

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
    Here's the deal. I have a cousin with autism that is pretty low functioning. In her attempts to install a printer on her computer by herself (a printer that doesn't even work

2. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    Create a new user account, without admininstrative rights.
    And make sure to set a password on the administrator account.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Programs do exist to freeze control of the C drive for basic users (i.e. can't install or uninstall anything), but I don't know specifically what those programs are. I've only seen the result of it on college computers.

4. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    In this case UAC probably isn't going to cut it. You'll probably have to set up a group policy locally.

In windows do Start-Run and type in

gpedit.msc

Go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates

From there you can go through and lock down whatever you want. It requires time to sort through but there are some online guides that will point you to some common options. Just look for "Group Policy".

Just an FYI from an admin, usually the options are "Not Configured" , "Enabled", "Disabled". DO NOT ASSUME what these functions do. There are lots of bizarre double negative and just plain ambiguous settings. Test to make sure whatever setting you do, does what you think it should. Try it in a VirtualBox first and play around with the settings to get something that fits your needs. Also keep an Administrative account on the computer so you can log in and change settings, or help them install something. As an additional plus, try to install the free version of LogMeIn. I find this tool to be invaluable in troubleshooting my parents computer remotely. It'll save you a road trip to do some basic help desk stuff.

Hope this helps

Forgot there's another way to probably get what you want.

http://jaredheinrichs.com/how-to-turn-a-wi...to-a-kiosk.html

Basically use the Group Policy and make it so they can only launch iexplore.exe or firefox.exe

Add mmc.exe so you can log in and edit the group policy in case you need to do anything.

5. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Skanix Illusion is one, I've encountered it countless times. Haven't seen any others in use, but I know there's also Windows Steadystate by Microsoft.

But yeah, seconding the suggestion of editing group policies.