Prevent System Updates for Wii U, let's get it straight.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by HaloEffect17, May 12, 2016.

1. HaloEffect17
    OP

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I am running 5.5.1U and don't wish to have automatic system updating enabled in the case where Loadiine GX2 may not be compatible with future versions of Wii U software.

I did some research on this site and came across two conflicting points of view regarding using the relatively simple TubeHax DNS to block system updates. They are the following:

DNS: Do not auto-obtain
    Primary: 107.211.140.065
    Secondary: 107.211.140.065

DNS: Do not auto-obtain
    Primary: 107.211.140.065
    Secondary: 0.0.0.0

What is the difference, and also while we're at it, does DNS have to be 'do not auto-obtain' because I read something about you can have dynamic IP if you leave it on 'auto-obtain' instead. I wish to clarify these questions as some of the threads I read were from 2015 and may subject to change for the actual proper way to do it today. Thanks.

Last edited by HaloEffect17, May 15, 2016
  2. nipsmg

nipsmg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    The only difference between the two, is that you didn't set a secondary DNS entry, that's it. The secondary entry is for when the primary is unavailable. Having the same number for primary and secondary will get you a retry if it appears unavailable, but that's about it.

You can still get a dynamic IP having DNS set to 'do not auto-obtain'. You're not configuring the Wii U to not obtain an IP address, you're telling it to not obtain a DNS server. Completely different things.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  3. HaloEffect17
    OP

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Great, so as long as I have the primary DNS set to 107.211.140.06, I shouldn't encounter any system updates? In the event where I do wish to update my Wii U again to the latest firmware, I simply set both back to 0.0.0.0, or manually system update myself in the settings, right?

4. skalienx

skalienx Advanced Member

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Correct. DNS (Domain Name Server) translates an address like google.com to the correct IP address for their webserver. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is what runs on your router to assign IP addresses to all your connected devices. I prefer to set up most of my PCs and consoles with reserved addresses so the IP address doesn't go changing on me. That helps when locally hosting exploits and HB, so you can create a bookmark in wiiU browser and not have to update the link everytime your pc renews its lease on an IP address.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You would just switch it to auto-obtain dns and it will use the DNS configured in your router.

5. ApolloCheese

ApolloCheese GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2008
    Gambia, The
    off the track
    i think it's .065 in the end

HaloEffect17 and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  6. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Just want to point out that the IP address you're posting is incorrect, it should be 107.211.140.065

HaloEffect17 and DarkFlare69 like this.
  7. hudhair

hudhair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 23, 2013
    United States
    I use tubehax as primary and the developer dns as secondary.

8. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    i noticed that too.

it's .065

9. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Some would claim that you can't depend on Tubehax DNS alone, and should also block URL's on your router. Not every router can do this though, such as my router from AT&T U-Verse. I personally self host the exploit offline using a wifi SD card, absolutely no worries.