Possible ways to protect cIOS from future updates

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hungyip84, Mar 29, 2009.

Mar 29, 2009
  1. hungyip84
    OP

Member hungyip84 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since IOS 16 is trucha-fixed in 4.0 update, currently there is no way to install custom IOS 249 if you don't have one.

I guess Nintendo's next action would add IOS249 (like what they did on patchmii when updating 3.4) to overwrite waninkoko's ios249.

Here is some possible ways that I have thought about to prevent losing waninkoko's ios249 if you update your wii by mistake in the future.

1. Update all IOS to newest version and then trucha-patch all of them.

By doing that, even if Nintendo is going to overwrite IOS249, we can patch wad manager to use existing trucha-patched IOS (which is not likely to be overwritten since they are in newest version) to install waninkoko's ios 249 back (The way we used IOS16 to install cios149). However, if Nintendo plan to update all existing IOS again, this method would fail.

2. Create another cIOS and make it to some unused IOS version (maybe anything from IOS100-IOS200).

If every user have another copy of cIOS, then we would have a backup cIOS to restore cIOS249 if Nintendo overwrite it in the future. If we use this method, we should not have the same version for our backup cIOS (for example, if we all have IOS248 as our backup cIOS, then Nintendo could simply have an update that overwrite both IOS248 and IOS249)

3. Turn off your wii's internet connection and don't update it until you know what is going on with the update (the safest way)

Any other thoughts?

This is my first discussion thread. If it doesn't make sense at all, please ignore this thread [​IMG]

2. FoGBaV

Newcomer FoGBaV Advanced Member

Sweden
    4. Wait for bootmii and write NAND back from backup ...8)

3. Puma

Member Puma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He had a typo. I was wrong.

4. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    I think he meant IOS 249 not 259

5. Puma

Member Puma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, nintendo could do whatever they want, but the reason they aren't making dummy IOS's for every other number is because it would take too long.

6. hungyip84
    OP

Member hungyip84 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    that's just a typo [​IMG]

7. EriktheRed

Newcomer EriktheRed Member

United States
    I agree with FoGBaV. BootMii NAND backup/restore is probably the best option since then you can just see what you'll have after the update then just download the newest IOS versions from Nintendo and patch Trucha back in after you restore back to your previous version.

Other alternative would be to use CSSM and Forsaekn's updates to that instead of using Nintendo's official updates.

Seriously though, I don't really foresee a need to update ever again. Nintendo already gave us the storage "solution" so what else do they have to offer? 3.3 and 3.4 system menu versions were nothing but failed attempts to patch homebrew, and they were denying the existence of a storage problem for over a year before they announced they were fixing it. I don't foresee any substantive changes being made by Nintendo; sure we'll probably get gimmicky (zomg! the system menu clock can be changed to analog! miis can have custom colored pants!) changes nobody really cares about but nothing necessary will be forthcoming anytime soon if you ask me. Nintendo is probably focusing their efforts to that end on Wii's successor and the only thing we'll see is more attempts to fix security even though that will be a losing battle for them with the exception of the new systems that have a new boot1 and come with SM 4.0 pre-loaded.