Homebrew Possible to read text files with another app open?

Airplay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched for this to no luck, so I apologize if there is an easy answer I should have found.

Is it possible to read a text file while another application is open on the 3ds? While I am in the middle of a game, I would love to be able to load a game FAQ and read through it, without needing to quit the game I am playing or use another device like a phone browser.

Airplay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much, am714!

I never even thought to try the built-in browser, since the 3ds always seemed to shut down any currently running app when I would run any other app. However, it worked great.

What I ended up doing was setting up a personal web server on my network with the FAQs I wanted to read in plain text. Then I could just point the browser to that server. It is fast and efficient.

Thank you again!

Aquadraws

Trophies
Da qualche parte nella Dimensione Magica...
XP
Country
Italy
What I ended up doing was setting up a personal web server on my network with the FAQs I wanted to read in plain text. Then I could just point the browser to that server. It is fast and efficient.
Wow you read my mind XD, all the apps o the top of the bottom screen (Notes, Friends, Notifications, Miiverse and Browser) don't need to close whatever is running.

P.S: No problem

Airplay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know if there is a similar solution for viewing text files while playing DS games using TWiLight Menu++ on the 3ds? (Or should I ask on the DS board?)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you know if there is a similar solution for viewing text files while playing DS games using TWiLight Menu++ on the 3ds? (Or should I ask on the DS board?)
That won't work. In DS(i) mode the 3DS operating system is closed. It can't make use of all the 3DS enhancements compared to the DSi. Pressing (Home) while in DS games does not directly show the Home Menu but the question if you want to close or continue the game.

If you are using an old model (O2DS, O3DS, O3DSXL) the browser is unavailable as well when having an extended memory mode (mode 3) game open. Not enough RAM to run both the game and the browser applet.

The idea of making the built-in browser actually useful is good! It can't handle modern webpages (especially on old models) but for plain text it is good enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good...