OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I found a program called NoSleepHD that's made to prevent harddrives going into sleep mode, but it will only work if you have the drive connected to your PC (I emailed the designer).

What it does is write a blank text file to your harddrive every X amount of minutes. Then it just keeps re-writing the same file, so it takes up almost no space at all.

This seems like a pretty easy thing. Is it possible to have something like this coded in homebrew?

mikesmithy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does anybody know of any other program to do this? Or any other possible solution? I can't get the seagate/maxtor program to recognize my drive. I know the drive works fine though - I've used it as a backup drive for about a year and it works fine for the wii (except for this sleep/spindown issue)!

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
aardvarks said:
these programes dont work on vista lads
QUOTESupported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Home, XP Professional, XP Media Center Edition, Mac OS X (10.4.7 – 10.5.x)

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mikesmithy said:
I'm using XP, but I still can't get the Maxtor program to recognize my harddrive!
That program is designed for Maxtor and Seagate brand drives only. Western Digital owners are taking theirs apart, and using a SATA cable to apply different software using command line. The wiki seems inconsistant, since there might be 10 confirmations, but not all the details are listed for each person. I think the wikis here at gbatemp should have their own sub-forums, where each drive could be discussed to further detail. My Seagate freeagent Go 500gb will be showing up in the next few days, and I hope everything goes well (using 8gb thumb drive for testing right now).

QUOTEI'm getting a 250gb seagate soon, do I use this program before or AFTER i format?

I read in another post that you can use this software after the drive has been formatted to wbfs. The guy thought it wouldn't work, but it recognized the drive and he was able to turn the power saving off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, a mixture of that and herbert the pervert +1