Ports/Remakes vs. New Games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sterling, Apr 23, 2011.

?

Port, Remake, or New Game?

1. Port

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neither, I'd rather have a new game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Apr 23, 2011

Ports/Remakes vs. New Games by Sterling at 5:07 PM (1,055 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I have seen more hate over this subject than many other more important subjects. So my question is, why all the hate?

Many users here have made some good points about it being a good business model. It's true. The reason there aren't more new games to our favourite franchises is because it costs a lot. One way developers fill in that cash void is with ports. They're cheap to do, and many of us will buy the games that matter (such as ALttP, or OoT). Every one we do buy is one step closer to that next iteration in the series. It's definitely not because the developers are lazy.

Remakes on the other hand require a lot more money put into them. I'd say about half as much as it would cost to make a brand new game. Now, remakes sometimes play like a brand new game. Not because the mechanics are changed, but because they have been updated so much from the original. Sometimes they get hate from the people who don't get the nostalgia feeling like they did from a VC. Aside from some fan service, remakes are meant to allow a newer audience to get into older games. They aren't bad, and many of the people who played the originals like them as well.

New games are all fine and dandy, but as I said before, they cost boat loads of money to make. If all we got were new iterations of games, many of us would whine about how they're pulling an Activision. The quality would then suffer similar consequences. That would drive more of us away, than bring us back in.

Your thoughts, questions, rotten tomatoes to throw?

EDIT: Couple more cents for the wishing well. It's also never a bad thing to have more of your favourite titles on more systems.

2. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    If a company releases port after port after port they come across as lazy.

Remakes on the other hand are a different breed. They require entire recoding and graphics effort (though the actual game design is already done). I have nothing against the 3DS remakes, if they were ports I'd be going wtf though.

New games are obviously the best but to get a console off to a good start a bunch of AAA remakes gives a solid ground.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  4. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Remakes are awesome
    Ports are good
    New games tend to suck

5. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I pretty much agree, except when the new games get proper development time. That tends to allow a new game to get it right. (Oh God, please let DN:F be the greatest FPS for all eternity!!)

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I like ports if they don't come off as lazy. Chrono Trigger is a good example; it had an amazing re-translation, knew post game events, and the Dream Devourer (a very important Chrono Trigger plot point).

I love remakes. If they have graphical updates, musical updates, new events, refrences to future games not yet released by the time of that games original release- so many thing can make a remake good. However, if there's one thing that pisses me off above all else, it's when devs claim they're making a remake, but in reality are making a port.

7. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It all depends.

If it's a memorable game but it's outdated, it's perfectly fine to remake it.
    If it's a memorable game and you're going to port it as it is because people can't really play it anymore, don't make it a retail title, if you will, make it cheap or bundle it with more ports.

I'll always think ports belong to the Virtual Console. But selling a bunch of them together as a retail title is okay to me.

As for new games. It depends on the game. I'd rather have a port of an old game than Phantom Hourglass, for example.

8. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I agree with you Ikki, on pretty much everything in that post. However, if they were to make a remake of Phantom Hourglass for the console that played in a similar style to the other 3D Console titles, would you buy it?

9. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I'd have to think about it. Right now I couldn't tell. It's a pretty gimmick intense game, I can't really picture it as a 3D console title.

10. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's exactly why I said they tend to suck. There are some great new games but unfortunately there are a lot more that blow

11. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The best thing about ports and remakes is it's pretty much guaranteed to be great, assuming the original is too.

When I go to buy OOT 3DS...i'm not going there hoping and praying it'll be good and worth my money. I'm going there KNOWING damn well i'm getting an amazing game.

12. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Developers tend to remake/port only good games, so if you buy a remake/port it's usually uaranteed to be good (even more so if you played the original).

New games can be good, but you never know. [​IMG]

13. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    New games lack that "fun" about them [​IMG]

While old games are spot on, can spend hours playing them without getting bored.

14. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    I completely agree with you here. I have bought so many games over the years, but a lot of newer games end up collecting dust, while a lot of older games get played countless times.

As for the debate of ports/remakes vs new games, I have to say that ports/remakes are a great way for the younger generation to have a chance to enjoy titles many of us did in the past. When it comes to certain companies making the same damn ports over and over, OK I can understand how many people can grow tired of this. New games, while there are a lot of great games that come out, too many focus on looking pretty or having weird useless gimmicks rather than letting people sit back and enjoy them. This next statement is just my opinion, but i would say about 75% of today's games focus too much on graphics or online play rather than the game itself. I can't speak for everyone else on this, but I enjoy playing through a game that lasts 20 hours+ not a game that can be completed in 6-8 hours. Online play adds more to a game, but I can't see the excitement of playing the same online matches over and over. I would rather see a remake of a game that can add something new to the gameplay or story rather than having DLC that adds more multiplayer maps on new games.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I found the new post-game events to be pretty shitty. They weren't done in the style of the original programmers so when an NPC would move the screen would fade, it seemed very amateur, and while the added quests liked to involve time travel, they were pretty much the same shit over and over. I was very disappointed. As for the dream devourer, I don't think I've done that yet.

I tend to like remakes because they can do things with new technology that weren't possible with the technology of the time, and they can also go back and look at the game and see what sort of things could use tweaking and such. This is assuming the remaking team is competent, of course...