Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
teq said:
Arakon said:
theclaw said:
You probably will need a modchip to read original PSX discs, if Wii can. It hasn't been proven whether or not Wii reads CD-ROM media when modded.

uhm, no. a modchip can't magically add an extra laser to read cds.
the wii uses a dvd laser ONLY.

Actually, the lens is sensitive to 650nm, while CDs are 780nm.

Thus, all DVD drives can read CDs. It's just a matter of software support. If the firmware doesn't support it, software can be written to support it.

Though, the more logical step would be to enable the emulator to read ISOs and load 8 games on one DVD.

*sigh*
NO.
ever wonder why the ps2 laser unit has TWO laser emitters? cause sony wants to show off by using 2 lasers instead of "writing a software"?
a DVD laser is not only of a different wavelength, it also has a different beam diameter. there are lasers that support both cd and dvd, but the wii doesn't have one of those.. simply because it doesn't need one.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
theclaw said:
In that case, someone should write an audio CD program. Wii is one of the very few disc-based consoles in history to not include software for it. PSP being another, obviously.
well the Wii doesnt support DVDs either
lecture.gif
im sure theres a reason Nintendo chose to do this

it wasnt designed with the idea of all-in-one media player like the other two systems out there

and why would someone want something so simple anyways? you have a computer to play CDs on

No its because it costs money to enable DVD playback for hardware devices and dince nintendo was going cheap, they figured leave out royalties for things people can already play. Anyone who doesn't have a DVD player yet didn't need a Wii.... they needed a fucking DVD player which can be purchased at any local mega-store for roughly $15.

And just for the record the Wii will NEVER .... NEVER EVER...... EVER read the contents of a PS1 game. End of discussion. The laser was not built to handle Compact Disk Media. CD's and DVD's are as different from each other as BD-DVD and HD-DVD. Stop trying to make the Wii into some magical -do all - piece of hardware.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arakon said:
*sigh*
NO.
ever wonder why the ps2 laser unit has TWO laser emitters? cause sony wants to show off by using 2 lasers instead of "writing a software"?
a DVD laser is not only of a different wavelength, it also has a different beam diameter. there are lasers that support both cd and dvd, but the wii doesn't have one of those.. simply because it doesn't need one.

There is an algorithm for reading/writing CDs using a 650nm laser.

Look at the explanation I posted in a later post.

Don't act all high and mighty if you don't know what you're talking about.

Krisan Thyme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it even necessary to debate whether or not original PSX CD's could be read? I'd think there would be several alternatives to booting the media outside of using the original discs anyway. The most obvious of which would be making a backup of a game and burning it on a DVD instead of a CD.. despite the obvious waste of a DVD this might seem to some, it is still one of the most straight forward solutions I see should such a problem exist. Otherwise, wouldn't a loader be feasible that checks for ISO's on a DVD? It would make for less of a waste on a DVD anyway..

Eh, I'd worry more about figuring out whether the actual console can be properly emulated on the Wii or not before dwelling on this anyway. Many times, the original media doesn't even need to come into the equation with emulation. (as long as there is a way to get the data over there somehow, the original means shouldn't matter.)

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krisan Thyme said:
Is it even necessary to debate whether or not original PSX CD's could be read? I'd think there would be several alternatives to booting the media outside of using the original discs anyway. The most obvious of which would be making a backup of a game and burning it on a DVD instead of a CD.. despite the obvious waste of a DVD this might seem to some, it is still one of the most straight forward solutions I see should such a problem exist. Otherwise, wouldn't a loader be feasible that checks for ISO's on a DVD? It would make for less of a waste on a DVD anyway..

Eh, I'd worry more about figuring out whether the actual console can be properly emulated on the Wii or not before dwelling on this anyway. Many times, the original media doesn't even need to come into the equation with emulation. (as long as there is a way to get the data over there somehow, the original means shouldn't matter.)

Good points, though they've all been made.

Using the original games isn't an issue, as most people will just download ISOs anyway. Having an ISO loader that looks at the front sd, USB, and DVD would be the ultimate solution.

As far as emulating the PSX is concerned, the Wii is more than capable. The GameCube controller, however, might not be, with its lack of a fourth shoulder button. Though, that's what custom key binds are for.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
teq said:
Arakon said:
*sigh*
NO.

There is an algorithm for reading/writing CDs using a 650nm laser.

Look at the explanation I posted in a later post.

Don't act all high and mighty if you don't know what you're talking about.

well, I never heard anything like that before, got some proof or link ?
like some other said, on the contrary, I always thought that CD compatibility was only possible with an extra laser in the drive...

Anyway, even if it was possible to do that by sotware only, I've also never seen anybody (I mean people who REALLY know about console hack) telling the drive firmware could me modified to read CDs, it hasn't been done during the gamecube ages, chance it will never happen on the wii

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
well, I never heard anything like that before, got some proof or link ?
like some other said, on teh contyrary, I always had in mind that CD compatibility was only possible with an extra laser in the drive...

Anyway, even if it was possible to do taht by sotware, I've also never seen anybody (I mean people who REALLY know about console hack) telling the drive firmware could me modified to read CDs, it hasn't been done during the gamecube ages, chance it will never happen on the wii

It would take more than just modifying the firmware.... you would have a write an abstraction layer to handle the reads.

As far as the algorithm is concerned, I only read about it once, and this was before DVD had market penetration. The concept is pretty moot now, due to the availability of DVD-Rs.

Like I mentioned before, reading the original CDs would be pointless.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Krisan Thyme said:

The PSX games wouldn't have to be stored in ISO format, you could just put them (uncompressed, unarchived) in various directories on a DVD, one for each game.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 games are only 700mb MAX. Most are only a couple hundred MB. So why not just make the game load from the SD card like the Saturn Emulator does? It would save all the waste for people who don't have a modded Wii. Also, it wouldn't be too hard to search for ISO from the DVD drive as long as the drive is modded, but then that should be an option like it is on SNES9X.

jos7960

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jinxvorheeze said:
PS1 games are only 700mb MAX. Most are only a couple hundred MB. So why not just make the game load from the SD card like the Saturn Emulator does? It would save all the waste for people who don't have a modded Wii. Also, it wouldn't be too hard to search for ISO from the DVD drive as long as the drive is modded, but then that should be an option like it is on SNES9X.

Yeah or use usb sticks and let it boot from there.

Ohwell i wont play playstation games on wii anyway.
yaypsp.gif

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bubbleboy said:
Krisan Thyme said:

The PSX games wouldn't have to be stored in ISO format, you could just put them (uncompressed, unarchived) in various directories on a DVD, one for each game.
why would you do that? that wouldn't save space.. you can just have many .iso/.bin/whatever files in a folder on a dvd. some psx games have cd audio etc

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why play PS1 games on your Wii, when there's way better emulators on the PC? Get a USB adapter so you can use your PS1/2/3 controllers on your PC.

Heck, just get a old modded PS1 for like $20.

Gnac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Relys said:
Why play PS1 games on your Wii, when there's way better emulators on the PC? Get a USB adapter so you can use your PS1/2/3 controllers on your PC.

Heck, just get a old modded PS1 for like $20.

Hey, let's forget about emulating any other console on Wii, seeing as there are better emulators available for PC.
awesometw0.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed