Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Source

PS3 owners get a bit of a bonus when buying Portal 2 it seems. A free copy of the PC/Mac version to play via Steam! And the ability to play PS3 vs PC/Mac multiplayer games! It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, most of the time I've heard cross-platform experiments have resulted in PC players wiping the floor with their console counterparts.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, might end up buying it for PS3 then, reedeeming my free copy for Steam, and then reselling it!
smileipb2.png

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Celice said:
It's valve's way of saying "You fucked up, here's a chance to pay the real deal."

tongue.gif

(go mods)
If it's anything, the reason why Valve is putting Portal 2 on the PS3 is because they would be able to release updates and mods whenever they want across PSN (Not sure what Sony is like with updates but I've read they have come to an agreement) while on XBL, Microsoft doesn't allow it (see: TF2)

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Magoo222 said:
Source
It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, most of the time I've heard cross-platform experiments have resulted in PC players wiping the floor with their console counterparts.

Pretty sure the multiplayer modes on portal 2 are co-op modes, so mouse/keyboard vs controller won't really matter as you're not competing against each other.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really... didn't see that coming.

That's awesome though! My brother and I both want Portal 2, and we both have gaming computers and PS3s so we can work something out.

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
Magoo222 said:
Source
It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, most of the time I've heard cross-platform experiments have resulted in PC players wiping the floor with their console counterparts.

Pretty sure the multiplayer modes on portal 2 are co-op modes, so mouse/keyboard vs controller won't really matter as you're not competing against each other.

Aah, that's alright then. Not sure which version I'd prefer to play, I played the original on Xbox 360, but have since sold that and gotten a PS3. It'll probably come down to price in the end, £25 on the PC vs £40 on PS3 is a bit of a difference to play the same game. Not sure that the "free" PC game would be worth it. Obviously if it comes out at slightly more reasonable prices, or the two prices are closely matched, the PS3 becomes the better choice.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Armadillo said:

Oh great, so don't bother with the only fun multiplayer options. I can't stand co-operative play, I hate to lose due to someone else being shit.

ZeroTm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cwstjdenobs said:
Armadillo said:

Oh great, so don't bother with the only fun multiplayer options. I can't stand co-operative play, I hate to lose due to someone else being shit.

How would you even play Portal competitive? Try to teleport them into a trap or something???

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Armadillo said:

Co-op gameplay is meant to be among friends. If your teammate is shit, that's your fault for picking a shitty friend to play with.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
That's Valve's job to work out, not mine. Otherwise I'd be selling them games. Here's hoping the single player is still the main focus.
Valve tried to make it work, but they found out competitive multiplayer just doesn't work for Portal. Regardless, the single player should still be worth it. It's longer than the (seperate) coop and they haven't made concessions to make all levels work in coop.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy an inferior version of the game and get the superior version as a bonus! Yipee!

I don't care what Gabe says, the PC will always be the superior platform for Valve games, no matter how much they say the PS3 version will be the "best".

Also, irony to point out...

So you're buying the PS3 game and getting a version for the PC/Mac.

Microsoft and Apple are competitors with Sony (you can say Apple is because of the PSP vs. iPhone/iPod Touch as well as the upcoming PSPhone).

You'll need either Windows or OSX to run the computer version.

So buy a PS3 game and you can play it on its competitor's systems (sorta).

Kinda a stretch but whatever.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
cwstjdenobs said:
That's Valve's job to work out, not mine. Otherwise I'd be selling them games. Here's hoping the single player is still the main focus.
Valve tried to make it work, but they found out competitive multiplayer just doesn't work for Portal. Regardless, the single player should still be worth it. It's longer than the (seperate) coop and they haven't made concessions to make all levels work in coop.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Valves testers turned around and said "ITS TOO CONFUSING, HOW DO I PLAY?"

I swear to god Valve hire the dumbest people to test their games. It's like they went back in time and brought some Neanderthals to the future to play-test shit.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a really cool idea and PS3 players are very lucky to have this cool feature.

Its also a great way to get people to buy the inferior version. Most PS3 multiplats are graphically inferior, not to mention performance differences. This situation combined with the PS3's smaller user base mean that most multiplats sell far less on the PS3. This is a great way to bribe people into buying the inferior version. Very smart...

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thats bullshit!

Man if the PS3 version is cheaper i am getting that version so i can install my steam version then sell the PS3 version to make profit
ohmy.gif

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
zeromac said:
Thats bullshit!

Man if the PS3 version is cheaper i am getting that version so i can install my steam version then sell the PS3 version to make profit
ohmy.gif
I dont think they will allow that, they will probably check if the steam version works to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1