pops questions

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by deltax5, Jun 30, 2017.

1. deltax5
    OP

deltax5 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2006
    Is pops a emulator? Or does it run on ps2's ps1 hardware. peaple keep calling it a emulator and it confuses me cuz ps2 can normally play ps1 games anyways.
    is rev 16 or rev 15 the latest versions.
    I gotta look at that capability list but i hear it's pretty good.
    I also gotta look up how to make your games show up a ops2loader.
    I got rev 16 with some help with rev 15 pack. I pretty much followed a youtuber instructions. Im running them off my harddrive.

2. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
  3. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    From what i remember the original pops.prx is a offical ps1 emulator plugin sony added to the psp firmware to play digital iso ps1 fames in a eboot.pbp container. The majic was that sony had a pops port for the ps2. I played with it a little bit on my phat ps2 with network adapter and a 80gb hdd. If playing ps1 backups off hdd is your goal i think pcsx2 or somethong similar worked best for me

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ps2sx i think it was id have to check my ps2 usb drive

4. deltax5
    OP

deltax5 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2006
    As the tutorial tells me to replace the launch with a custom one
    LaunchELF v4.42e_HDD_kHn. Can I use the new ule_wip7 instead?

5. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, just make sure you name it the same as the file you'll be replacing. usually it's "BOOT.ELF".

6. deltax5
    OP

deltax5 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2006
    Ok thanks. Man it's really bothering me people keep calling it a emulator. is it.

7. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Yes. PS1 is separate from the PS2 side of things. Without a PS1 disc in the disc drive, the PS2 does not touch the PS1 hardware. "POPStarter Revision 13, WIP 06, OBT 17" is the last non-dev release. Compatibility is roughly 90% with best results coming from HDD installations. There's just a significant amount of popular games that have issues that make it seem less. To have the POPS games show up in OPL, you need to edit conf_elm.cfg to direct it to the respective .ELF file. Here's a popstarter.elf renamer and conf_elm.cfg generator to automate the process. http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1648

https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/history

Last edited by zfreeman, Jun 30, 2017
  8. deltax5
    OP

deltax5 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2006
    Tried the latest official ulaunch. it doesn't launch the games. Im guessing I got to keep the one in rev 15. Im prob not missing much anyways. The latest did say LaunchELF v4.42e but rev 5 is older than it isn't it. Ohh well.
    Most of the games I put run grate. Pretty amazed a ps1 can emulate it at all. But i feel like something is missing. raiden project doesn't have sound thou but plays fine.
    How do i delete a partition on the harddrive?
    Edit:Im going to try again maybe it will run throu the ps1 game .elf. just an idea I had. the custom firmware can play from selecting the vcd itself if you want to thats what I did. But i ran out of time gotta do stuff for now will get back and test this theory out when i find time.

Last edited by deltax5, Jun 30, 2017