Hacking Emulation POPS on PSP/Vita - Config Research

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I currently recommend either of the two posted by @mrjaredbeta and @Webardo.
Huh, I'm surprised that both configs worked for 2003. The adresses are close, but still differ a bit.
@mrjaredbeta was truly right about the leniency of commands 0x0C/0x0D/0x11 for adresses. :rofl2:

i hope translated ones like Tales of Phantasia can be also improved via configs... have you tested sir? games that are english translated/fan translated?...
The only one I tried was Namco Museum Encore. And the Jade Cocoon undub too, although this one doesn't mess with adresses, so it will be fine with the config as is.

i hope translated ones like Tales of Phantasia can be also improved via configs...
What's wrong with Tales of Phantasia?

Last edited by Webardo,

mrjaredbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I'm surprised that both configs worked for 2003. The adresses are close, but still differ a bit.
@mrjaredbeta was truly right about the leniency of commands 0x0C/0x0D/0x11 for adresses. :rofl2:
Yeah, definitely. It seems like the address doesn't matter all too much with these commands, or at least the instruction that the command is placed on. I am guessing that the addresses from the other configs also are close enough to land in the same function that runs on the loading transitions, so it pretty much works in the same way (command runs cache clear and event test, just a few instructions earlier or later).

oh wow we have more than one.... thats great!!... im gonna try later... also Rumble Arena...it has some slowdowns on original id but using SetRegion (JPN) fixed the speed...im gonna be busy this weekend so many games to try... Chrono Cross/Trigger, Xenogears, Legaia, Lunar 1, FF7 and 8, Grandia and other PS1 RPG's... i hope translated ones like Tales of Phantasia can be also improved via configs... have you tested sir? games that are english translated/fan translated?...
Yeah, the Rumble Arena JP config is there in Vita's table. We will be able to get these all ported over and optimized in pop-fe at some point for really easy and automated conversions.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Yeah, definitely. It seems like the address doesn't matter all too much with these commands, or at least the instruction that the command is placed on. I am guessing that the addresses from the other configs also are close enough to land in the same function that runs on the loading transitions, so it pretty much works in the same way (command runs cache clear and event test, just a few instructions earlier or later).

Yeah, the Rumble Arena JP config is there in Vita's table. We will be able to get these all ported over and optimized in pop-fe at some point for really easy and automated conversions.
oh wow im kinda surprised Rumble Arena was also there...ill be waiting for your config sir... although i used different JPN Id for the game at least it manages to fix the game... Rumble Arena was also one of my childhood PS1 game...we often use War GReymon VS Black War Greymon...hahahah

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am very happy with all the progress. Thank for everyone's collaboration

I took a look at the table and POPs PSP ignores 0xC, 0xD among others, this helps to do something clean in config1.

In fact, one of my favorite games I finally had time to test.

Driver 2 (USA):

CONFIG:

Just Copy the same as BD13, it worked for me smoothly for changing discs.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I am very happy with all the progress. Thank you for your collaboration.

I took a look at the table and POPs PSP ignores 0xC, 0xD among others, this helps to do something clean in config1.

In fact, one of my favorite games I finally had time to test.

Driver 2 (USA):

CONFIG:

Just Copy the same from BD13, it worked for me smoothly.
its my honor sir ....ive learned so many information...we love ps1 games but sony doesnt care any more...im really glad i was able to help also with my little knowledge... we still have a few games to test...Fear Effect 1 and 2... before we finally reach our goal....

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
its my honor sir ....ive learned so many information...we love ps1 games but sony doesnt care any more...im really glad i was able to help also with my little knowledge... we still have a few games to test...Fear Effect 1 and 2... before we finally reach our goal....
These versions came out on PSN if I'm not mistaken and they seem to work well. Do you know if they have any problems?

There appears to be no setting for these two games unfortunately or it hasn't been discovered yet.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
These versions came out on PSN if I'm not mistaken and they seem to work well. Do you know if they have any problems?

There appears to be no setting for these two games unfortunately or it hasn't been discovered yet.
but they are on EUR/PAL i havent tested if the speed of EUR/PAL PSN is fine on PSP because i have the NTSC/USA custom eboot made...and unlike Colin McRae Rally games they are optimized for EUR and it is the better version...sometimes you can feel the slow speed of EUR/PAL games on PSP...i was just lucky the FFV and FFVI PAL then Hard Edge PAL after converted into NTSC...their screen at least not cut off... its like its the same NTSC Game only converted to PAL...even Suikoden 1 and 2 PAL to NTSC...

Reactions: The_Ho

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Wow... just checking on this thread and the work and fixes that has been done is incredible. Especially fixes for Digimon World 2003.

If what i read from @OPPAI_DAISUKI post correctly, then will it be possible to make FF VI and Chrono Trigger performance similar to SNES version? If that so, that will be absolutely incredible because there's never any fix for that making the PSX version the worst.

Will all these Fixes available publicly or will we need to apply the fixes ourselves?

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow... just checking on this thread and the work and fixes that has been done is incredible. Especially fixes for Digimon World 2003.

If what i read from @OPPAI_DAISUKI post correctly, then will it be possible to make FF VI and Chrono Trigger performance similar to SNES version? If that so, that will be absolutely incredible because there's never any fix for that making the PSX version the worst.

Will all these Fixes available publicly or will we need to apply the fixes ourselves?
They will be publicly available here > https://github.com/sahlberg/pop-fe

ronniesahlberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Once the config experts here finalize them and they are tested I will add them to pop-fe so they are automatically applied when you convert the game.
That said, there is a lot of testing that needs to happen and a lot of tweaks still to do on games so feel free to contribute where you can on this megaproject.

There was already a handful of posts to describe how to test and a mapping between common issues and the config that might potentially help here. And folks like @OPPAI_DAISUKI used it and started to do real good testing with tweaking configs.
Maybe we need a wiki on "how to test different configs and these commands often solve those kind of symptoms" ?
The more the merrier.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

im not really expert also its just after inserting the config the loading of the game was fast now and better than normal custom made eboot... i will post a video and see for yourself sir... im kinda busy now its last day of work...2 days weekend of and monday will be holiday because of Brgy. SK Elections....
i havent tested Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger... and yup everyone and the majority said PSX version is the worst but that is the version ive played FFV and VI and finished them both...i love the PSX version...

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
@OPPAI_DAISUKI thank you for your quick reply. A video will be very helpful especially for total beginner like me. It will be a very good learning experience and creating a better Eboot will be very helpful especially on ps vita because of the lack of POPsloader.

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, now I'm really curious, the latest Digimon 2003/3 CONFIGs besides fixing one another, I saw that cmd 0x11 in value: 0x80020D09 also fixes Bugs Bunny Lost in Time without any additional commands.

I looked for this value in the POPs for Vita internal commands table and didn't find it.

It is in another location or they have used some form of alteration ?, perhaps this memory value can be used for other games.

Perhaps games that have any better response to using 0x07 in cmd 0x00 could benefit from this.

Bugs Bunny seems to have gotten even faster with greatly accelerated Loadings. Please test it or I'm going crazy lol.

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Once the config experts here finalize them and they are tested I will add them to pop-fe so they are automatically applied when you convert the game.
That said, there is a lot of testing that needs to happen and a lot of tweaks still to do on games so feel free to contribute where you can on this megaproject.

There was already a handful of posts to describe how to test and a mapping between common issues and the config that might potentially help here. And folks like @OPPAI_DAISUKI used it and started to do real good testing with tweaking configs.
Maybe we need a wiki on "how to test different configs and these commands often solve those kind of symptoms" ?
The more the merrier.
I still read through the thread to learn more about applying the config and testing the Eboot. It will be great to contribute to these great fixes.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello, now I'm really curious, the latest Digimon 2003/3 CONFIGs besides fixing one another, I saw that cmd 0x11 in value: 0x80020D09 also fixes Bugs Bunny Lost in Time without any additional commands.

I looked for this value in the POPs for Vita internal commands table and didn't find it.

It is in another location or they have used some form of alteration ?, perhaps this memory value can be used for other games.

Perhaps games that have any better response to using 0x07 in cmd 0x00 could benefit from this.

Bugs Bunny seems to have gotten even faster with greatly accelerated Loadings. Please test it or I'm going crazy lol.
Oh wow!!! that means 2 configs can be used for Bugs Bunny... thats awesome!!!... same to what ive tested and experimented on PE2 and then inserted to FFV and VI... what could be the exact config sir?...

NoobCycle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I just tried to create custom EBOOT using pop_fe for Digimon World 2003 and found there's slight improve in performance especially in battles. Before, I use the eboot provided in cdromance and found the battle still feel sluggish but now it feels more smooth. I also tried several other games:

- Final Fantasy IX: Thanks for the help from @Webardo and @The_Ho the slowdown is gone in forest battle or in spell effect.

- Jackie Chan Stuntmaster: no black screen, but there's a slight slowdown and stuttering appearing random. Sometimes can be a problem when jumping platform or when fighting enemies.

- Brave Fencer Musashi: no more black screen on opening cutscene and after the fight of Skullpion. But there's still a minor slowdown appear randomly especially if there's many particle effect or if there's steam effect like in Steam Knight boss fight.

I also have tried more games on the vita. I noticed that mostly 3D games that suffer from slowdown. I hope this little information can give a little help for all the expert that has been wonderfully creating these fixes.

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@OPPAI_DAISUKI thank you for your quick reply. A video will be very helpful especially for total beginner like me. It will be a very good learning experience and creating a better Eboot will be very helpful especially on ps vita because of the lack of POPsloader.
here are the videos... above is FFV PAL converted to NTSC and then inserted a config...below is FFV 1.1 NTSC no config applied..
Post automatically merged:

here are the videos... above is FFV PAL converted to NTSC and then inserted a config...below is FFV 1.1 NTSC no config applied..

Attachments

• 20231027_194038.mp4
    47.9 MB
  • 20231027_194935(1).mp4
    41 MB

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I can test it in a few hours. Amazing to know that this also helps with Bugs Bunny! Guess it also hits the adress by chance when loading comes into play (I did update the config before, disabling cmd 0x04 to make loading faster, perhaps you had a config from before that? Sorry about it). I'll see which has better performance overall, and re-submit if necessary.

- Brave Fencer Musashi: no more black screen on opening cutscene and after the fight of Skullpion. But there's still a minor slowdown appear randomly especially if there's many particle effect or if there's steam effect like in Steam Knight boss fight.

I also have tried more games on the vita. I noticed that mostly 3D games that suffer from slowdown. I hope this little information can give a little help for all the expert that has been wonderfully creating these fixes.
You don't have a save before the Steam Knight, do you? As to compare wether or not the lag was there on PS1 too.

- Jackie Chan Stuntmaster: no black screen, but there's a slight slowdown and stuttering appearing random. Sometimes can be a problem when jumping platform or when fighting enemies.
Did you try with disc speed set to fast?

The_Ho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can test it in a few hours. Amazing to know that this also helps with Bugs Bunny! Guess it also hits the adress by chance when loading comes into play (I did update the config before, disabling cmd 0x04 to make loading faster, perhaps you had a config from before that? Sorry about it). I'll see which has better performance overall, and re-submit if necessary.

I noticed that Parasite Eve 2 EU's memory address 0x11 made the game work without any extra changes.

However, this address leaves the game extremely slow.

So I started making numerous changes to this PE2 address...

I had mixed results between black screens and performance improvement little by little, I realized that the address each time I modified the value looked closer to that of Digimon 2003.

So I decided to stop suffering and try Digimon 2003 once and for all and it worked very well.

But when consulting the Vita's internal POPs list, I only found the address for Digimon 3 JP

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
But when consulting the Vita's internal POPs list, I only found the address for Digimon 3 JP
It's because the different regions of the game have differing memory offsets. They all have (mostly) the same instructions, just in different memory sections, so the only thing to do is search for the same instructions as the JP DW3 in the other versions. You can use no$psx to do this.
The adress I uploaded is the one that DW2003 has the same instructions in, and the one @mrjaredbeta uploaded does the same, but for the NTSC-U release.

The reason you had lag and other issues with the Parasite Eve 2 adress is because that one hit a specific instruction lots of times, flushing caché for every time it was called upon. The times it crashed was because the adress wasn't even used when loading new data.
The DW2003 adress must be hit much less often, and used in loading, thus working fine.

Seeing that the DW2003 config and the DW3 config both worked for the game shows that there's tolerance in a difference between adresses of at least 0x3F0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k