KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xXEli.jpg

What seem to be the next movement for marriage equality and acceptance, has been on my mind for a while.Immoral on religions grounds? Immoral in general? Not immoral at all? If not immoral, can you handle or want more than one lover and/or spouse. Does it matter the morality of it all for law unless it harms people? Don't understand polygamy/polyamory? Is polyamory love possible or is it just lust? A smaller possibility for cheaters? Are you polyamorous? Nonreligious? Love is truly limitless or can it just be stretch and/or multiply more than we are use to? What is the limit? 4,5,30,80, 100 spouses? What is the average added spouses in a polyamorous relationship in the USA? Outside USA? Polygamy,polyandry or polygyny? What's are the chances of it being legalized at all in the USA? I'll be quiet now and let you discuss.​
Discuss! :P

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Statler: I think polygamy should be illegal.
Waldorf: And why's that?
Statler: Having the first wife is bad enough!
Both: Dohohohohoho!

A lot of people are predicting that this is destined to be the next big cultural tug-of-war once the issue of gay marriage is settled once and for all. I guess this thread will be a head start on the upcoming arguments.

My two cents: People are complex, and a binary institution for marriage just doesn't represent everyone. If several, consenting adults (whatever the genders) want to enter into one marriage, I personally don't see the harm in it.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well seeing how high the divorce rate is in the United States, I don't see any reason why people should be allowed to have more wives. The only thing I can see it leading to is more divorces.

Reactions: Wizerzak

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it's not for me, I see no reason why polygamous marriages shouldn't be legal. However, I have reservations due to the misogynistic nature of many polygamous societies.

The Denobulans seemed to be able to do it right.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a one man one woman/man/transman/transwoman/hermaphrodite/ostrich kind of guy, but if a bunch of consenting adults wanna bone regularly and live together and call it a marriage, they should do what feels right.

1stClassZackFair

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for it. I'm still a young adult but if and when i ever get married I wouldn't mind getting married with some twins that i'm currently infatuated with. :) If not I'll do the same Gene Simmons did for a while and live happily unmarried with them till death do us part.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Like some said, if for me (and my spouse), I'd prefer a 1 to 1 relationship. Ie I don't want my wife getting another husband either. Call me selfish if you will but if she ain't happy with just me, then it's off.

But if some random person out there wants more, idgaf tbh. Unless you screw yourself over so bad, that you require welfare which will come out of our pockets through tax and what not.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yay for thressomes!!!!
Not sure if you are joking,but polygamy/polyamory doesn't necessarily mean 3some, 4some , etc.

I'm a one man one woman/man/transman/transwoman/hermaphrodite/ostrich kind of guy, but if a bunch of consenting adults wanna bone regularly and live together and call it in a marriage, they should do what feels right.
If you are going to support it then support it right. :P

There are some practical issues that polygamy poses. Like taxes and insurance. Do I care if someone marries 5 women? Not at all. Do I think that an employer should be forced to extend health insurance to an employee's 5 wives? No, that seems ridiculous.
What's the difference between a employee with 5 wives and 5 employees each with a wife when dealing
with extended health insurance?

Polygamy if one is a yandere and one is a tsundere. Otherwise, I'm fine with sticking to just one.
Lolwat? Taking this a bit seriously, why those traits?

Find it interesting that the ones that support it (except one) wouldn't have a set limit. Other words, you are fine with someone having 100 wives. Realistically tho, I didn't see that many people in the USA taking it that far.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, I'm mostly in favor of the idea that marriage is a pretty dumb concept in the first place, hence the "call it a marriage" thing. Doesn't make much of a difference to me whether or not they're married.

Reactions: Fat D

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Polygamy can and does work, but you best be fucking sure you are okay with the people involved and not doing it because you're wrapped around someone's finger. Immoral on religion ground, but religion isn't supposed to have a hold on state/federal legislation, despite the obvious.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
AFAIK with muslims the rule was; If you have your first wife's consent and if you can support more than 1 family, then you are allowed to marry again.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference between a employee with 5 wives and 5 employees each with a wife when dealing with extended health insurance?

Hypothetically, each of the 5 employees could have 5 wives. That would be 25 wives that an employer would be obligated to insure, as oppose to merely the 5 wives (one per man) that they are currently obligated to insure. That would be a tremendous financial burden for a business and one which I don't believe they should have to cover. If you want to have multiple spouses, the burden should be on the individuals involved to ensure that they can afford a polygamous lifestyle.

As I alluded to previously I find nothing wrong with polygamy objectively, I just don't think that tax breaks and insurance benefits can be extended to polygamous families for practical reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse