[Poll] Which web browser(s) do you use on your computer and why?

What browser(s) do you use? (On laptop/desktop)

• Microsoft Edge

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Google Chrome/Chromium

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • Safari

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Opera/Opera Mini

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Vivaldi

• Brave

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Pale Moon

• Waterfox

• Midori

• Other (Please post)

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

Seriel

Doing her best
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As the name suggests, I'm interested in knowing which Web Browsers people use on a desktop OS and why they use that.
I've been bouncing around from browser to browser lately, I liked Chromium for while, then switched between it and Vivaldi a lot, then I found Firefox Quantum and gave it a try, and now I'm back to Vivaldi..
I quite like Vivaldi because it offers extreme amounts of customisation while still being compatible with all Chrome/Chromium focused extensions and working with Chrome-focused websites. Firefox Quantum is nice but it lacks the customisation the old Firefox had by sacrificing Extension support, but the old Firefox is slow and not very pleasant to work with so I don't use it.
I do like Chromium's simplicity, but I'm that one person who likes to change the whole colour schemes of things so I picked Vivaldi to suit that purpose.
Here's a picture of my Vivaldi setup: (You can also include a pic if you have a non-standard setup or theme, its nice to see how people like their browsers to look)
661acd.png

So yeah, I'm interested in hearing external opinions about this. Sorry if I left your browser of choice out of the poll, I added as many as I could think of.
Also sorry if there's another thread for this, I did some searching and couldn't find a recent one.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Currently alternating between Chrome and Safari.

Used to be FF instead of Chrome but FF are killing off ‘legacy’ addons which were basically the main reason I used it.

Use Safari for better battery life on my mac and ios devices.

Reactions: Seriel

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firefox. At least for now because I can still use classic theme restorer to get rid of the generic flat look with large icons presumably for sausage fingers on a touchscreen that 99% of things seem to be. If/when it stops working (might be legacy), then I'll look elsewhere and at other options for customisation.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Chrome for personal, Firefox for work. I use Chrome mainly because my Gmail is setup across a ton of devices, so it's just convenient to use one account across all my devices.

Firefox for work just to have a separate environment to sync, so I only need to deal with two web browsers and not multiple accounts on one.

I also use Dolphin browser on my phone occasionally, mainly for stuff I don't want to constantly see in my Chrome history or bookmarks. ie game walkthroughs, manuals for various products, a couple iFixit teardown links for the various laptops I have and stuff, just random stuff that I usually only look at on my phone.

Seriel

Doing her best
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firefox for work just to have a separate environment to sync, so I only need to deal with two web browsers and not multiple accounts on one.
When I used to use Chrome, I used my college google account to sync across all college computers and my personal gmail to sync between home devices.
It's not too bad until the point where you start trying to access the other one, then its ehh.
Probably a different use case though, just seemed similar

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I just go with the regular Mozilla for everything, expect for Google Hangouts video/phone calls since they aren't supported anymore and they force you to use Chrome... I don't really care about how the browser looks, it's a tool, not a girlfriend!:P If it works, allows multitasking (200+ active tabs without an issue) and is fast, then that's good enough for me! All those browsers that have tons of customization options or very extended plugin support only waste resources in order to do those things, so they don't appeal to me much...

Opera has built in vpn and adblocker you can't beat that.
Mozilla may not have a built-in VPN, but it does have some of the functions of adblockers, but also has something more important, a mini-antivirus that goes completely unappreciated in this day and age that checks every single file you download or that sites feed you and either warns you directly or alerts your main anti-virus! Opera only has a pseudo-VPN, but does have an actual adblocker.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Chrome. I started using Chrome at it was really fast on the MSI Wind Netbook I had around 2008 ish, it was also the only browser for a long time that would sync bookmarks and settings natively between devices.

What can I say I ended up really liking Chrome, it does what I need it to do well.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just go with the regular Mozilla for everything, expect for Google Hangouts video/phone calls since they aren't supported anymore and they force you to use Chrome... I don't really care about how the browser looks, it's a tool, not a girlfriend!:P If it works, allows multitasking (200+ active tabs without an issue) and is fast, then that's good enough for me! All those browsers that have tons of customization options or very extended plugin support only waste resources in order to do those things, so they don't appeal to me much...

Mozilla may not have a built-in VPN, but it does have some of the functions of adblockers, but also has something more important, a mini-antivirus that goes completely unappreciated in this day and age that checks every single file you download or that sites feed you and either warns you directly or alerts your main anti-virus! Opera only has a pseudo-VPN, but does have an actual adblocker.
You can install adblocker plus on top of the built in ad blocker in Opera. Also it does have VPN on the opera browser obviously it doesn't apply to other programs. Makes it the best browser in my opinion.

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can install adblocker plus on top of the built in ad blocker in Opera. Also it does have VPN on the opera browser obviously it doesn't apply to other programs. Makes it the best browser in my opinion.
First of all, I was talking about the base browsers themselves. ALL browsers can get VPNs, adblockers and whatever you want with plug-ins! You can install adblocker on top of Mozilla's pseudo-adblocker too to have an actual one, just like on Opera if we go about it like that. Mozilla can also get a VPN plugin and unlike Opera, it can also get No Script if you want to go that far!:P Opera has worse memory management, is less secure and doesn't offer as good plugin compatibility as Chrome or Mozilla in general. Not saying it's a bad browser, it's a great one, but not the best by a long shot. About the VPN btw, it's a PSEUDO-VPN, while it is LIKE and works LIKE a VPN, it's FAR less secure, which makes tracking you down not that hard to do if the person tracking you know their stuff. Also, simply letting cookies and keys (not passwords, memory-related stuff) get save in your cache cancels out the most important part of using a VPN, as those will send the REAL IP to their respective servers since they draw it directly from the netsh commands most of the time, making the VPN function useless completely. If you are already using a VPN, Opera's VPN can be really good for extra protection, but alone it's completely useless 99% of the time.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I like Firefox, I've used it for a while now and never gave me any problems. That alone was enough for me to stick with it for such a long time, but sometimes I find myself using Chrome to view some websites that are sloppily coded or simply do not support FF for whatever reason (even if this happens very rarely).

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

firefox mainly
chrome for mega links
others
the tor browser in tailsos
apollo on my iphones
stock browser (not chrome) on my androids
dolphin
idr the package name but it was something like gnuweb or gweb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +3
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1