[Poll] What file format for homebrew do you use?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheCruel, Apr 16, 2016.

?

Which format do you use?

1. Only 3dsx

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Only CIA

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Both, but prefer CIA

54 vote(s)
    68.4%
  4. Both, but prefer 3dsx

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. TheCruel
    OP

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    I'd like to know which format is most important to homebrew users.

SLiV3R likes this.
  2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    CIA is much, much more convenient when using custom firmware. having icons for what I want on the Home Menu is nicer, and also it exits cleaner (in my opinion, don't know if I'm making sense here...). I do use both though.

3. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I'm the same. I use both, but I do like cia for some things. I kinda filter it in my mind what I want as a cia and as a .3dsx, but for me, generally, all tools (D9, Ftp, etc) are gonna be homebrew applications while game related stuff (Pchex++, JK's SaveManager) are cias. That's just me though and it's kinda weird.

Xen0 likes this.
  4. KaduPSE

KaduPSE Revolution and cake

Dec 26, 2015
    Brazil
    I don't see any good reason to use .3dsx at our current state. I mean, every single 3DS in existence right now can be downgraded to 9.2 and run CFW, why whould you boot an unstable menu everytime you want to run a homebrew? The only reason I see is exactly to setup other, better, homebrew.

5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    for smaller single-purpose homebrews I use 3dsx-form programs. for instance I use a small lpp-3ds-based program that downloads from a little web server on my laptop to update certain homebrews like Decrypt9/EmuNAND9/GodMode9. I also keep around both 3dsx and cia versions of a piece of home-brew just to have access in both "modes", usually when using something that only exists as 3dsx.

6. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.3-1-zen
    From how I see/use things the .3dsx format is only useful/practical as a means to an end, not for daily usage.

ihaveamac likes this.
  7. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    i prefer developing in .3dsx.

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    I think .3dsx is the perfect format for developing with, because you can easily send it to the console and run it. 3dslink is really good. for CIA, it's not that easy since you need to import it first before running, but I think is worth trying to build for a release.

peteruk likes this.
  9. pdapanda

pdapanda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 19, 2014
    Switzerland
    However 3dsx is not perfect format to use, when a big enough homebrew developed, it need to run under a large app to hijack,
    then it become very limited.

hobbledehoy899 and ihaveamac like this.
  10. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Using the nintendo way of organizing apps, things get quite messy with a lot of homebrew / official software. Therefore i really like the homebrew menu to organize homebrew and keep it seperate from the main menu.
    Also keeping .3dsx homebrew up to date seems to be less of a hassle compared to .cia, since no installation is required.

However, i'm not a developer, and i'm not quite sure what limitations .3dsx have.

I use .cia as a shortcut for my 'favorites', other than that i prefer .3dsx.

11. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    I prefer cia!

12. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Since most of us use cfw nowadays, I prefer cia over 3dsx. But it's still nice to have both!