Homebrew [Poll] What file format for homebrew do you use?

Which format do you use?

• Only 3dsx

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Only CIA

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Both, but prefer CIA

Votes: 54 68.4%
  • Both, but prefer 3dsx

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the same. I use both, but I do like cia for some things. I kinda filter it in my mind what I want as a cia and as a .3dsx, but for me, generally, all tools (D9, Ftp, etc) are gonna be homebrew applications while game related stuff (Pchex++, JK's SaveManager) are cias. That's just me though and it's kinda weird.

Reactions: Xen0

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't see any good reason to use .3dsx at our current state. I mean, every single 3DS in existence right now can be downgraded to 9.2 and run CFW, why whould you boot an unstable menu everytime you want to run a homebrew? The only reason I see is exactly to setup other, better, homebrew.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any good reason to use .3dsx at our current state. I mean, every single 3DS in existence right now can be downgraded to 9.2 and run CFW, why whould you boot an unstable menu everytime you want to run a homebrew? The only reason I see is exactly to setup other, better, homebrew.
for smaller single-purpose homebrews I use 3dsx-form programs. for instance I use a small lpp-3ds-based program that downloads from a little web server on my laptop to update certain homebrews like Decrypt9/EmuNAND9/GodMode9. I also keep around both 3dsx and cia versions of a piece of home-brew just to have access in both "modes", usually when using something that only exists as 3dsx.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i prefer developing in .3dsx.
I think .3dsx is the perfect format for developing with, because you can easily send it to the console and run it. 3dslink is really good. for CIA, it's not that easy since you need to import it first before running, but I think is worth trying to build for a release.

Reactions: peteruk

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Using the nintendo way of organizing apps, things get quite messy with a lot of homebrew / official software. Therefore i really like the homebrew menu to organize homebrew and keep it seperate from the main menu.
Also keeping .3dsx homebrew up to date seems to be less of a hassle compared to .cia, since no installation is required.

However, i'm not a developer, and i'm not quite sure what limitations .3dsx have.

I use .cia as a shortcut for my 'favorites', other than that i prefer .3dsx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: