Please help! (Upgrading from RXTools)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Daisies, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    Hey

I haven't used my 3DS for quite a while, and I haven't kept up with the CFW scene so much- But from what I gather, RXTools is outdated, and this is a problem, as I'd like to upgrade to the latest FW in emuNAND.

What is the best way of doing this? My system menu in emuNAND is RX-E 10.1.0-27E, and my sysNAND is 7.2.0-6E. I would also like to (obviously) keep my games and saves without having to redownload them.

Thank you in advance, and I'll be happy to provide any more info you may need.

Edit: I am going to back up my files and my emuNAND, as I assume that's a sensible precaution.

Edit 2: Also worth mentioning, I use BrowserHAX to launch RXTools ATM.

Last edited by Daisies, Nov 2, 2016
  2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    This will set you up with the latest and greatest exploit + CFW, please note emunand is no longer required for this exploit: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

It will have a section in the last part of the guide where you restore emunand to sysnand so that you keep all of your saves and data.

3. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    Hey

I have some concerns, and I'd like to make sure it's safe before I mess around-

I have previously altered a NAND file I believe. (I think the GBA related one?) Will it still be safe to downgrade to 2.1.0? Is there any risks?

Thank you for your time

4. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    Oh ok, to be honest, I do not have the answer to that as I joined the scene when this was already out and did my hack on a stock 3DS.

Alternatively to keep EmuNAND setup, you can just swap from RXTOOLs to a Luma/Emunand setup following this: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

Note you would choose:
    • If you're using menuhax/browserhax/any other *hax that displays the Homebrew Launcher, also copy the contents of the hax folder to the root of the SD.
    Also make sure you change theme or something in EmuNAND so that you never confuse them and accidentally update SysNAND with this setup.

5. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    I'll wait for a response to my last question- thanks, though.

6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    It is safe to do it with a GBA mod.

7. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    Thank you

Am I right in believing I can keep all my saves and stuff without hassle too? Forgive my paranoia

8. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You will not lose anything as long as you do the guide as told

9. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    I have succeeded, and it has also fixed a LOT of issues I was having in general, such as GBA and DSi games not working.

Thanks!

Quantumcat likes this.
  10. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    actually yes and no yes its safe but untill you restore AGB_FIRM, Luma Will barf everytime you run a GBA VC. you'll need to restore from stock versions via 3DSNUS.

11. shadowfocus603

shadowfocus603 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2016
    United States
    This makes me happy. One less RXTools user.

12. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    My GBA VC works fine though?

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe you never modified your AGB_FIRM

Daisies likes this.
  14. Daisies
    OP

Daisies Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    UK
    No, I'm very sure I did, as I was having trouble with my GBA games and I was trying to fix it a few months back. It's possible I reinstalled the original during that though?

15. hyprskllz

hyprskllz Gashatto!!

Apr 19, 2016
    Indonesia
    Auldrant
    If you don't remember, you should redownload the AGB_FIRM from 3DNUS, and install it to play it safe.
    It doesn't matter whether you install it before, or after installing A9LH, since you will restore your NAND backup anyway.