ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
So after reading the news about XMBC coming to android, I decided to check it out (not knowing what XMBC was). I've only had it for an hour but I am loving it. Such a nifty little media player....I've already got a remote on my android and got my hulu plus on it, but the next thing I wanted to know was can I fix my droid some kind of way so that I can have my music on my droid play on my computer through xmbc.....I don't like having my music sit on my laptop cause I have it on my phone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Backups of music are a good thing in my experience (other than photos they are about the only thing people seem truly upset to have lost in a hard drive crash or equivalent) but it sounds like you either want music to stream from your droid to your PC or use it as a remote filesystem to do similar?

Assuming the basic option of buying a male-male 3.5mm audio cable or whatever tweak is needed (2.5mm or something) and sticking it in the line in port (most mic ports on laptops double as line in) is not an option comes network streaming. XBMC is very much geared to go the other way and at least on the xbox and PC versions (I have not tried android XBMC yet) it will accept enough streaming formats that if you can not get something done with the hardware you have you have gone very wrong somewhere. Still the other versions at least do support turning XBMC into a upnp server which works on a lot of things although I usually hold the method up there with the likes of DNLA as things that are quite nice in theory but the practice is lacking in some serious way. I can not find anything explicitly geared towards doing it from an android box though (still very early days).

Failing that https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba&hl=en appears to allow your android to act as a samba share which you can pick up from the PC.

Of course it could also be read that you want the android in your pocket but using wifi or something as a glorified speaker wire which might well be possible but I am drawing a blank right now as far as that works (I would not be shocked to find it is easy to do mind) but combined with the samba stuff or upnp you might as well run that and then XBMC as an application on your PC (standalone versions are available for just about every operating system) and have a XBMC or some other media player remote in your pocket instead (bonus is those are very well developed these days).

Reactions: 1 person

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks that was very informative. I think I have some ideas to get whatI want, but yea I got all my music on my external so its backup I just don't care to have it on the computer itself because I don't really listen to music on my lappy and its too big a collection to have sitting on my laptop like that. XMBC would be the 1st instance of me using my computer to listen to music (esp. since this is the only laptop that i've owned with great speakers)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: There is some really odd DS games I liked but not sure others would like them lol