Playing guitar

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Theraima, Jan 26, 2011.

Jan 26, 2011

Playing guitar by Theraima at 12:04 PM (744 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    So what do the Tempers think about playing guitar? I've been thinking to start doing it, its been in my head for a long time.

2. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    While guitar is an easy instrument to start learning, it's a difficult one to be dedicated to. I've almost been playing for 5 years now, and I desperately seek reasons to further my playing styles, even after I've found my own sound.

3. Warren_303

Member Warren_303 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Samuel Adams - It's always a good decision ....to play guitar.

4. Tokyo Jihen

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've always wanted to start as well. But I don't have the money to do so [​IMG] I also want to learn to play the piano, violin, and bass guitar.

5. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Go for it, you won't regret it. It's really fun. [​IMG]

Acoustic guitars are pretty cheap compared to electric ones. But it depends on which you wanna play I guess.

6. Tokyo Jihen

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How about calluses? Are they bad?

I was thinking acoustic, but don't you have to get them "set up"?

7. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    I've always wanted to learn how to play it. But I'm really impatients. /lolironic

8. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    Well I started in '09 and it's been pretty good so far. If you can stick to it, then it's awesome. Start off with an acoustic and move your way up to an electric. Doesn't have to be like that though, you can get an electric first. It's just how I did it lol. [​IMG]

9. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Got an acoustic for 2 years then switched to piano, been working on both ever since. I find it's easier to learn songs on piano and then try them on guitar.

10. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    SAME! Just that I started last year. [​IMG]

*brofist*

@becat: Calluses aren't bad, cos they help reduce the pain you feel at your fingertips while playing the guitar. And I don't play the acoustic, so I can't help you there. [​IMG] You can find some guides online that can help you though. There are many. :3

11. Smartpal

India
    Haha, awesome!

*brofist*

Callouses numb your fingers so that you never feel the piercing pain of the strings again. They're awesome and proof of the fact that you've been practicing.

12. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    the callouses are fine. you will get some holes in your upper layers of skin for a while though. i've been playing about 10 years. it is a great hobby and fun to show off your skills, when you get them.

its also really REALLY fun to rock your socks off when you learn to play an entire song. i used to pop on metallica and play through master of puppets and the justice for all album. not to mention putting every rammstein album in queue and playing them through.

its worth it to learn, but takes a lot of heart.

13. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i've had an acoustic guitar for over 8 years and didn't touch it till a year ago. i regret not starting out as soon as i got it. i don't practice much, maybe 20 minutes per week, but i can see improvement over time. so even if you don't spend a lot of time on it, you'll still learn something.

there are physical limitations to playing guitar that can be frustrating. at least for me there are. for example i can't separate my middle finger from my ring finger when i curl them, so doing some of the chords is extremely difficult for me, i usually look for an alternate way of playing the chord. but still it infuriates me, i almost want to get corrective surgery. i learned songs very quickly but most i can't perform do to my crappy fingers.

14. Smartpal

India
    Yeah I REALLY want to learn a full Metallica song, either Master of Puppets or Fade to Black. I already know a bit of Fade to Black.