Playing from disc without updating

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by tuntun, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tuntun
    OP

tuntun Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2010
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Hey guys, with BoTW arriving soon is there a way to play from the disc without having to update, i want to keep the WiiU on the firmware its on now to continue using homebrew.

Thanks

2. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    We don't know if there will be an update on the disc yet.

If you're talking about keeping 5.1, depending on what they change (if they release a new fw) a work around may be possible.

We won't know how to deal with until we see what happens in 2 weeks.

3. aljpn91

aljpn91 Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    you can always spoof your current fw to the latest, but that won't happen because there won't be an update

4. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Why would Nintendo not bring an update out they are just about to give the public the biggest and most expensive to make game they have ever made. Do you honestly think they are going to let all wiiu owners be able to play the game for free?? They are going to do everything in their power to make sure people have to update and have to buy botw legitimately. If they don't they have just cost themselves millions in lost revenue.

5. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Most people don't pirate - so maybe they will lose some sales - but it may cost more to make an update then they will lose in potential sales. Also, 2 weeks is pretty short notice to drop an update. I don't think it will happen.

6. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Why would they bring an update out now they will bring it out days before botw. If they brought it out now it gives the hackers just under 2 weeks to crack the update. You say most people dont pirate I think you would be shocked at how much money companies actualy Lose through piracy.

https://www.revulytics.com/resources/stat-watch

7. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    I think that the majority of wiiu users don't pirate. Those stats are exaggerated.

And they won't drop an update b/c the r&d is too high for a dead console, and if there was a new update they would have already had to release it b/c the botw wiiu discs have already been pressed.

8. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Yes the wiiu is a dead console but so was the nintendo dsi and that got an update 2 years after the 3ds came out. Plus yes the botw game discs are pressed but the update could easily have been put on the disc at the same time.

9. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    That's never happened as far as I'm aware though. I think every update has been through the internet first, and then on discs later.

Like I said the r&d is probably price prohibitive for the few lost sales.

10. aljpn91

aljpn91 Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    i'm buying botw regardless, but i honestly don't think there's a secret update being pushed inside those discs
    besides, they're 100% focused on switch right now, the only reason we're getting the wii u version at all is because nintendo likes to keep it's promisses

Last edited by aljpn91, Feb 19, 2017
    HaloEffect17 likes this.
  11. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Or that they don't want to totally rip off current Wii U owners for not having a single new Zelda (not including remasters) for the console. They're basically pulling a Twilight Princess on this one (having it for the GameCube and the Wii).

12. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    BoTW might not have update on plain disc itself.
    It will probably be included in game update that will be promised to patch bugs for Wii U users. [Possible theory]

Nintendo isn't dumb, they have many tricks to update our precious Wii U.