Hacking Play XCI backups online safely?

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this somehow possible? I have backed up my cards because I don’t want to take them with me all the time but I’d still like to go online and backup my saves/ I don’t need online play

MeAndHax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can't play online with backup regardless NSP or XCI format.
I don’t want to play online with them, just play them offline but later go online again without getting banned or little risk and save my saves in the online cloud

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t want to play online with them, just play them offline but later go online again without getting banned or little risk and save my saves in the online cloud

You need separate nand (Clean NAND) or separate unit. Can't do that on one nand. Won't really be able to use a NNID without getting ban if there backup involve.

Last edited by Hayato213,

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you install any xci/nsp on ur sysnand. And you connect to the internet without 90dns, incognito, etc. You will be banned. Without those protections, The only way to minimize risk would be to use sx os's xci mounting feature. Granted this theoretical since sx has cart emulation/xci mounting. But I still highly suggest using 90dns or incognito. It prevents connection to any ninty servers while still giving you access to internet for ftp, freeshops, etc

MeAndHax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you install any xci/nsp on ur sysnand. And you connect to the internet without 90dns, incognito, etc. You will be banned. Without those protections, The only way to minimize risk would be to use sx os's xci mounting feature. Granted this theoretical since sx has cart emulation/xci mounting. But I still highly suggest using 90dns or incognito. It prevents connection to any ninty servers while still giving you access to internet for ftp, freeshops, etc
But to mount my XCI I have to run SX OS CFW or is it possible to mount them without being in CFW?

MeAndHax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not possible.

well whoever said that XCI and sx os are safe is dumb because I used sx os, as told in the ban thread for a week, with only game cards (because I wanted to see if I get banned or not; basically to test) and was banned a week later.
Running SX OS CFW is not save at all and because XCI’ S can only be mounted on Sx os then we can surely say that they are neither safe.
I can get another unit to test, it’s not a problem for me, but is there actually a way to mount them with lower risk or maybe did I just screw up something?

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, its not possible without sx. Sx is the only cfw that does xci mounting. Ams and reinx can only install them.

Best setup in my opinion is setup emunand, install incognito on your emunand (and if you wanna be extra careful, setup 90dns) this way you have internet access for ftp, etc but won't connect to ninty. The downside of this is what you do in emunand wont be on your sysnand, Which is good or bad depending on what you do with your switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well running any sort of cfw isn't safe. Ams, reinx, or even sx os. The only way to be "safe" is setup emunand and keep it offline. Use emunand for dirty things (eg. Homebrew, "backups", etc) and use sysnand for purchased games only (not even games you dumped yourself)

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was possible to play self created XCI dumps online with SXOS in the past, but in 9.x Nintendo added some additional checks to the authentication for going online with cardridges, that SXOS didn't implement yet, and probably also won't implement in the future.
Its also importand, that installed XCIs will never work online or be safe, since the way installed software and cardriges authenticate are quite different.
If you use them offline with SXOS XCI mounting, XCIs are still relativly save, but if you really want to use CFW and be as safe as possible, dont use switch backups of any kind.
Also I don't follow SXOS that deeply anymore, so it could also be, that they don't include some of the later ban protections to generall CFW usage, that Atmosphere added a while ago, so maybe be carefull, or inform yourself a bit more on that topic, if you want to use SxOS.

I used both, SXOS and Atmosphere, in the past, but now I'm mostly using Atmosphere, since the main reason I keept using SXOS is not possible anymore (playing self created XCIs sumps online).
I don't use any emunand, and use CFW on Sysnand, while going online, since shortly after they existed, and both of my switches are still not banned, but I also didn't install any XCIs, Game NSPs or homebrew nps, since all aren't safe to install, if you go online.

MeAndHax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It was possible to play self created XCI dumps online with SXOS in the past, but in 9.x Nintendo added some additional checks to the authentication for going online with cardridges, that SXOS didn't implement yet, and probably also won't implement in the future.
Its also importand, that installed XCIs will never work online or be safe, since the way installed software and cardriges authenticate are quite different.
If you use them offline with SXOS XCI mounting, XCIs are still relativly save, but if you really want to use CFW and be as safe as possible, dont use switch backups of any kind.
Also I don't follow SXOS that deeply anymore, so it could also be, that they don't include some of the later ban protections to generall CFW usage, that Atmosphere added a while ago, so maybe be carefull, or inform yourself a bit more on that topic, if you want to use SxOS.

I used both, SXOS and Atmosphere, in the past, but now I'm mostly using Atmosphere, since the main reason I keept using SXOS is not possible anymore (playing self created XCIs sumps online).
I don't use any emunand, and use CFW on Sysnand, while going online, since shortly after they existed, and both of my switches are still not banned, but I also didn't install any XCIs, Game NSPs or homebrew nps, since all aren't safe to install, if you go online.
that's exactly what i did. I used SX OS to mount my own game cartridges and played them in SX OS's stealth mode (basically prevents you from going online). When done playing I booted up my stock sysNAND and saved my game saves into the cloud but got banned a week later. I assumed it was safe but apparently it's not...
kinda disappointed.

how did you mount your xci's and not get banned tho? i dont understand? did you go to the album and mount it like i did?

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
that's exactly what i did. I used SX OS to mount my own game cartridges and played them in SX OS's stealth mode (basically prevents you from going online). When done playing I booted up my stock sysNAND and saved my game saves into the cloud but got banned a week later. I assumed it was safe but apparently it's not...
kinda disappointed.

how did you mount your xci's and not get banned tho? i dont understand? did you go to the album and mount it like i did?
Before Firmware 9.x I did the same, only thing important was, that the private cert was left intact, while dumping. Only other things I did when using sxos, was using creport and fatal from atmosphere, to prevent error log creation, which should only be important for homebrew crashes and errors, or cfw sys module crashes.

I also keep an eye on the reswitched discord, and a few of the bigger people in the switch homebrew scene, like sciresm, so that I get informations about changes in sys updates, like the new gamecard authentication, that made sxos xci mounting unsafe for online play, fast enough.

Its sad that sxos doesn't communicate such things, just because going online was never officially safe from public stand. Also sad, that they will probably never do the work needed to reanable this again, since they would need to crack the gamecard reader firmware, and reimplement the authentication done by it, which is not importantf for their main taget demographic (which is mainly pirates).

Reactions: MeAndHax

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Short answer: No!
Long answer: Theoretically you could be fine if you dump a cartridge by yourself and use that since what makes Nintendo ban you is the fact that you might have installed a title with a strange header. That counts towards homebrew NSPs (forwarders and such) as well as multiple people using the exact same XCI of something like Smash Bros. with the exact same header since every sold game comes with a separate unique ID inside the header.
So if Nintendo detects that two people have used Smash with the header "9X8472243BW3" for example, they know that at least one of them is using a custom firmware and pirated the game and they most likely ban both. If you dump your own cartridge that no one uses but you so no one is using that unique header key of yours, you could be fine.

COULD...

However you are not fine as the only way to mount XCIs is SX OS and even if their Stealth Mode is/was good enough (it is not!) to prevent Nintendo from taking snapshots of your logs, you are stuck on FW 11.0.0 which can't be used online any longer.
So the only other way for you would be to install it like an NSP in Atmosphère and installing any NSP will most likely get you banned.

Is this somehow possible? I have backed up my cards because I don’t want to take them with me all the time but I’d still like to go online and backup my saves/ I don’t need online play

Btw if you really don't care about online play you can also use Checkpoint or JSKV or EdiZon to backup your saves and another homebrew* to cloud sync them to Dropbox.
* forgot the name of that homebrew unfortunately

I think Tinfoil by blawar has some sort of cloud saving feature too now though.

Edit:
Yep, Tinfoil does it -> [TUTORIAL] How to automatically backup your Nintendo Switch Saves to the Cloud

Last edited by lordelan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?