EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wondering...

Is it possible to play PS2 Games on the PS3 in any way?
I'm asking because I've bot a PS3 model which doesn't read PS2 games..
And, if so, can PS2 roms or whatever be played on the PS3?

Thanks..!

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Crazzy1 said:
Just wondering...

Is it possible to play PS2 Games on the PS3 in any way?
I'm asking because I've bot a PS3 model which doesn't read PS2 games..
And, if so, can PS2 roms or whatever be played on the PS3?

Thanks..!

Cant happen. Only early models had the emotion engine which is the PS2 processor. New models cannot do so. Also, emulation is not possible since the PS3 has not been fully hacked. I hope they add emulation as a feature in the future because I would love to play my PS2 games on my PS3 slim.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
launch ps3's could play ps2 games: cause it had the hardware
Slightly later ps3 could also play ps2 games but through some emulation and some hardware
All later ps3's can't play ps2 games in anyway

The ps3 has hasn't been hacked so there's no way to play iso's.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AFAIK, it was only hardware in Japan, possibly US. In PAL PS3s, it was only ever software, so in theory, perhaps could be hacked to work on all PS3s, but I'm not sure.

EpicJungle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:
Well unless you count ps2 backups loaded via network.

Well, I asked this question because I saw this....
Care to explain this please?
Cause I might have read this wrong...
Go to the original post in the thread: "can ps3 play iso backups?"

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
xist said:
Awesome, seems like I can do that. Luckily, I still have a Swap Magic somewhere
smile.gif

I presume that on PS3 it only has network support, am I right?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It even loads from wireless LAN or USB, but i don't recommend these 2 methods, they are too slow for serious use. And your ps3 needs to be backwards compatible, but i don't know if it needs to be the the 1st gen with 2 of the ps2's chips or the later revision with only 1 chip from the ps2.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
It even loads from wireless LAN or USB, but i don't recommend these 2 methods, they are too slow for serious use. And your ps3 needs to be backwards compatible, but i don't know if it needs to be the the 1st gen with 2 of the ps2's chips or the later revision with only 1 chip from the ps2.
Awesome, I actually use my PS3 with WLAN, I wonder how well will it work
unsure.gif

Otherwise I might just lay a LAN cable on the ground
tongue.gif

It is, it's a first model 60GB (the one with the memcard readers)
wink.gif

EpicJungle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Open PS2 Loader (OPL) is an application designed to allow you to play your PS2 games from a connected USB device or a networked PC from either a PS2 console or a PS3 console that supports PS2 Backwards Compatibility.

Bleh. Oh well, my answer has been solved...

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
SifJar said:
AFAIK, it was only hardware in Japan, possibly US. In PAL PS3s, it was only ever software, so in theory, perhaps could be hacked to work on all PS3s, but I'm not sure.
not true, if it was just software we wouldn't be having this conversation because we'd all have ps2 emulation, I'm not sure what the hardware is, but it's most likely something that checks if the game is legit or not, or it's needed to run the game or ps2 firmware.

QUOTE(giratina16 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:41 PM) No but apparently Sony are going to be releasing PS2 game on the PSStore but you have to pay for them.
that's been a rumor that's been shot down many a times over the years it's been circulating, what Sony is doing is reformatting the games to HD and ps3 compatibility, the most recent is the sly cooper collection.

kungi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was able to buy a PS3 w/ backwards compatibility for those PS2 games. But I do not feel like re-purchasing my old PS2 games, so I was couldn't I burn those games on a disk and play them on the PS3 w/o any problems

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
sputnix said:
SifJar said:
not true, if it was just software we wouldn't be having this conversation because we'd all have ps2 emulation, I'm not sure what the hardware is, but it's most likely something that checks if the game is legit or not, or it's needed to run the game or ps2 firmware.

Actually the thing is much more simple:

VERY early Models in US and Japan - and also, no PAL model has these, had Emotion Engine (The PS2 CPU) and the PS2 GS - what is the Graphics Synthetisizer.
These models have been proven to be compatible because of having all original hardware with PS2 homebrew, swap magic etc.

Slightly later ones had NO Emotion Engine, The CPU, but Still had the Graphics Synthethisizer since, I dunno, maybe the Graphic stuff is too much to load on PS2 CPU as emulation. These models because of CPU emulated are not compatible with PS2 homebrew. PAL models that have PS2 compability are only these models.

Then from that on, all slims - did not have either chip, and thus, making PS2 just not work.

Other notes:
If you have any PS2 compatible PS3, they can run any PS2 game from any region, yay noregionlock and those who want to import but have no chips in consoles.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sumea said:
Other notes:
If you have any PS2 compatible PS2, they can run any PS2 game from any region, yay noregionlock and those who want to import but have no chips in consoles.

I have a PS2 compatible PS2, but it can only load my region of PS2 game
tongue.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
SifJar said:
Sumea said:
Other notes:
If you have any PS2 compatible PS2, they can run any PS2 game from any region, yay noregionlock and those who want to import but have no chips in consoles.

I have a PS2 compatible PS2, but it can only load my region of PS2 game
tongue.gif

PS3... I meant... and with PS2 it is naturally doable as well...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls