play dvds on wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jamespoo, Jul 29, 2013.

1. jamespoo
    OP

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    i only use my wii for playing homebrew apps/games and videos i will not be buying any games for my wii so i found out using this app http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC it could play dvds i clicked it and it says

DVD playback is not supported on this Wii

i think my wii is from 2007

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    What menu version is your wii is it lower than 4.3

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    DVD playback worked on older models as the DVD drives they had featured an undocumented function for 3x playback (normal Wii read speed was 6x playback) which many have theorised was for when Nintendo introduced the DVD playback functionality* (they had mentioned it could happen at an earlier e3). For various reasons this never came to pass and presumably as people were using the feature to play copied games the feature was dropped from later drive revisions. You probably have one of these later drive revisions.

Short of replacing the drive there is not a lot you can do. You could rip it and stick it on a hard drive I guess to use with the media player but if you are doing that you might as well rip it and encode it in something smaller.

*when doing things in the commercial world (or at least in the US and probably Japan) you have to pay your dues to the MPEG-LA and more besides if you want DVD playback-- the original xbox only allowed it with a remote for similar reasons and MS have stripped the DVD functionality from their newer OSes for much the same reason.

4. soulrazor

soulrazor GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2012
    DVD playback doesn't work with all dvd's (backup and originals) or it does work with at least originals?
    I think my drive doesn't allow backups but i remember it reading a original dvd through WiiMC
    (maybe my mind is playing tricks on me)

5. jamespoo
    OP

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    i think it is 4.3

6. jamespoo
    OP

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    i will post more info on my wii tomorrow i really do hope i can get it to play dvds as where i have it setup there is no room for a dvd player at all