Hacking platypuses

vaikra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know exactly where is that puts then I will post here please they don't complain
my first skin for m3/r4 of platypuses to look
demoik2.png

Download
Link 1
in case it doesn't work
Link 2
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The plural of platypus is platypi.

You're making the common mistake of constructing the plural of a word of Greek origin according to Latin rules. Playpuses is the commonly accepted correct plural for platypus, but if we want to get all bent out of shape about what's more correct as the plural for an English word mangled from the Greek Platu (flat) + Pous (foot/footed) then platupodes or platypodes would perhaps fit. I've never heard of anyone using platypodes, but I guess it's likely that it was used in some circles around the time the beast was first discovered and named - Latin and Greek were far more commonly taught in the past than they are today, and those who benefitted from a "classical education" would have been able to recognise the root words and construct the grammatically-correct plurals.

Same deal with the incorrect octopi - it's really octopuses or (very rarely, and mostly among people more intent on annoying others with their self-satisfied academic smugness than communicating effectively) octopodes.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow English really is complicated... if only it was a bit more like chinese... where it's more like two platypus (without having to have a word ending).

Back on topic, nice skin. I love platypuses (I was taught in school that it was platypuses)

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There isn't a different counter for everything... dunno what Chinese you're thinking of (specifically I'm thinking Cantonese)... I know Korean has (I think) 3 different counters (or 2)...

For eg. you don't have to have different ways of saying a word like two with different ways such as "double" or "twice" or "second" etc. In Chinese I know there's only one other different way of saying "two", but that's the only number which changes.

To be slightly on topic: where does it say anywhere that the plural of platypus is platypi? It's like cactus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1