Platinum Games are counting down to something

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Source

Well...what could it be?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'll go fringe theories here and say RE5: Wii Edition. I thought a while ago an engine that was used for a few games, including RE5, was adapted to the Wii but hasn't been used yet. Also, as of late, with RE5 coming out with a bunch of special editions, who knows if a Wii one would be in the eves? The obvious clue is the last developer to not make a game yet being the Resident Evil guy.

Well, for some reason I always think of Platinum Games to be a very Nintendo-based gaming company, but who knows now. Bayonetta got lots of praise and seeing as their Wii release, MadWorld, flopped like a fish out of water, they could be slowly going towards the PS3/360 now.

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Platinum Games have a four game deal with Sega. Madworld, Bayonetta & Infinite Space are only three, so this will be their fouth for Sega.

Whatever it wont be Resident Evil, I'd doubt they'll ever make games for Capcom again seeing it was them that closed them down and made them sack some of their friends to keep going.

Either way, going from what they have done under PG (plus Okami, VJ as Clover) I can't wait to see what they do next. It'll have a great look that is for sure.

4. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Madworld 2! Plllllllllllease

5. Guild McCommunist

United States
    As much as I wish it would be, it's probably never gonna happen. MadWorld sold horribly. I mean down-right awful. I was nice enough though to support good companies and buy it, though [​IMG]

6. EnigmaXtreme

Australia
    Yeah Madworld sold only as much as sayyyy No More Heroes

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the only reasons madworld sold shit was cos nintendo went into so much trouble making the wii look like it's only for kids and milfs with their retarded ads showing middle aged woman playing mario and zelda that no one serious about this type of game owned a wii to buy it and any other game aimed at a mature audience.

8. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    That's very beautiful flash scripting too.
    And yet, we can only wonder what the countdown could be for. o:
    Maybe it'll be a brand-new series!

9. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    No More Heroes: Just over 450,000 over two years.
    Madworld: Just over 370,000 over 9 months, Japan release is out in February.

Thats actually pretty good but Sega have said yesterday that they aren't doing any more mature Wii titles since Dead Space Extraction bombed despite critical acclaim. Thing is that Madworld is still doing a steady few thousand sales each week and has sold more than The Conduit and recently Sega said they were stil open to a Conduit 2...wtf?

These two could have done better if they were advertised on TV on channels that aren't digital only. I think that the Madworld sales are exceptional seeing its a bit of a niche game, its done a hell of a lot better than Okami on PS2 which had better advertising and a user base that would go for these games, amazingly the Wii version has sold more with shit all advertising in less time. To be honest I think Platinum Games are doing a lot better on the Wii then when they were Clover on the PS2.

10. EnigmaXtreme

Australia
    Ninty needs to rethink their advertising strategy, i remember seeing some awesome Madworld ads, the ones with sport announcers yet barely ever saw em on TV. Nintendo needs to advertise WiiWare and Virtual Console on TV and make some edgier commercials for the mature games

11. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I hope for either madworld 2, okami 2 or devil may cry 5 (shinji mikami was also the guy behind devil may cry, right?)

12. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    This countdown goes for 1 month, 17 days, 18 hours and 17 minutes according to wolfram alpha. That means until roughly 3:00pm (BST) on the 20th of February. This date ring any bells?

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    doesnt arc rise fantasia come out in feb??

14. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Nintendo would rather advertise 4 year old DS games that have sold 10 million plus more than actually bother with advertising games that could become potential franchises. Seriously do they really need more Mario Kart DS adverts?

15. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    the only wiiware ad i seen was that Pokemon Rumble game, other then that i haven't seen any. [​IMG]

16. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Ninty doesn't advertise for MadWorld. That's SEGA's job.

Edgier and mature games don't sell on the Wii, plain and simple. Fluffy and casual games do. I mean, when Nintendo's "failure" is Wii Music, which sold over 2 million copies, they've obviously hit the sweet spot of sales. As for WiiWare, pretty much no downloadable games are advertised on TV. Download-only games are usually lower budget compared to a full-on retail game and thusly don't need a huge advertising sweep to sell copies.

17. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Viewtiful Joe 3.

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i know everyone is expecting a famous to jump out now but what if they are changing ideas and putting something new up there?

19. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    that would be the best

20. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    The only sequel they did was Viewtiful Joe 2 when they were Clover. Capcom owns that franchise so it wont be that, nor will it be anything else they did as Clover for the same reason.

Its highly likely that it'll be a new IP or Sega will give them one of their games...wouldn't they be perfect to reboot Shinobi or Altered Beast?