PKHeX Wacatac.H!ml virus

badblood08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried downloading the latest PKHeX from here: https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/1-pkhex/

Windows Security got this virus:
1670004007188.png

1670003920198.png

Is this a false positive virus? Should I disregard this. Please advise.

Thanks!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

badblood08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pop the file into VirusTotal or Hybrid-Analysis and it'll tell you whether if this is the case or not. Microsoft Defender generates tons of false positives, so you shouldn't worry about anything.
Only 1 vendor found it as a virus
1670004273980.png

I'm not sure if this is an isolated case that can be disregarded

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no matter what i scan virustotal always has at least 1-2 vendors mark it as a false positive. i've uploaded empty archives, blank raw text documents and random images and photos and there's always at least one.

i would be more concerned if several caught it. additionally if you google the name of said malware you'll see that every single post and thread mentions it being an extremely common false positive. windows defender seems to mark benign python and c++ scripts as being infected with this quite frequently.

you're probably fine but if you're ever super paranoid maybe consider putting a linux distro on a flash drive and performing your mods on that. it wouldn't 100% protect you unless you also physically disconnected any other mountable media but it would certainly add a layer of protection and teach you some new skills.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
no matter what i scan virustotal always has at least 1-2 vendors mark it as a false positive. i've uploaded empty archives, blank raw text documents and random images and photos and there's always at least one.

i would be more concerned if several caught it. additionally if you google the name of said malware you'll see that every single post and thread mentions it being an extremely common false positive. windows defender seems to mark benign python and c++ scripts as being infected with this quite frequently.

you're probably fine but if you're ever super paranoid maybe consider putting a linux distro on a flash drive and performing your mods on that. it wouldn't 100% protect you unless you also physically disconnected any other mountable media but it would certainly add a layer of protection and teach you some new skills.
PKhex doesn't work really well with Mono according to PKhex themselves.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PKhex doesn't work really well with Mono according to PKhex themselves.
Oh, wild. Windows only. How bizzare... guess it's due to their choice of language. (C#).

That's... actually really lame. Guess the 2nd best would just be a windows virtual machine with stuff like PAE/NX and shared clipboards/drag and drops disabled. That said it's most definitely a false positive but for those who are worried it's at least a way to accommodate for their concerns.

Still. Dang.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Only 1 vendor found it as a virus
View attachment 341145
I'm not sure if this is an isolated case that can be disregarded
Probably. Even the 1 detection is vague/heuristics and not a real detection.
It appears it's scanning the URL as a website though, rather than scanning the file. You'd get better results if you downloaded the file and manually uploaded it.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you don’t. You need common sense. Defender has been fine for ages and alerting him fine. As someone has said it’s alerting on that URL.

Common sense would be to find a more reputable download link.

There is no problem downloading it from projectpokemon.org, I been downloading pkhex from there for years and no issues. Just that he got a false detection.

XVicarious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See here

I tried myself, but I didn't have the patience to make heads or tails of it. A lot of duplicate implementations seem to exist in the source itself. Maybe I'll try again later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol