Homebrew PimpMyWii

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I want to first let you guys know that im completely aware of ModMii... however when your Wii is already soft moded and your like me hate to remove the sd card out so you do everything over a Wifi network. I have never had a problem with this app and actually i quite love it when updating alot of IOS on a Wii with such a low System Menu considering that before modmii came out a lot of people seem to ignore IOS updates @ least i get a lot of questions about it LoL. I just curious if there is something im missing. Does ModMii always get you the latest IOS, and does PimpMyWii not? I much prefer PimpMyWii over ModMii since i can do everything fairly easy then going to ModMii typing a lot of characters and have to transfer to SD card over Wifi which takes a few minutes when i can just use PimpMyWii to do it from my wii and be done.

ModMii = Great
PimpMyWii = Preference LoL

What are the pro's and con's; what are the facts, fiction, and opinions of these great apps. To me they are basically the same.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I actually like PimpMyWii, and I used it a couple of times to update to newest system menu or just get specific cios trough manual installation.
The first time I run it actually , it found so many outdated cios ( they were already there, but older versions ) that I felt really good about myself after getting everything up to date.
The thing I like most is that you can just run a full system check and pimpmywii just gives me a detailed list of thing I have installed and what's missing/outdated without actually changing anything.
Then trough the manual install, I just install what I really need.
So all in all I'm a very happy user of pimpmywii, and even though my wii is fully updated at the moment, I will use pimpmywii again in the future when something will need to be fixed.

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing but good things about PimpMyWii
smile.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had the old 1.x versions brick a few wiis, so I don't recommend it. Can't comment on 2.11, since I didn't let it do much when I tried it (told it only to update a few IOSes in the 50s, EULA, and MIOS...).

Aside from the bad 1.x experiences, the one particular grief I have for this app is the fact that it screws with your SM IOS's version number. It installs the SM IOS with the stub's version (e.g. IOS60 v6174 as v6400), something which has confused quite a few people (including me).

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the controversy for PimpMyWii comes from that it bumps IOS revision numbers up to the max ( 0xFF ) number. This can prevent future games from being able to be run by limiting Nintendo's ability to update your Wii, it can prevent the Homebrew Channel or BootMii from being able to install, and it can cause some pretty serious problems with Priiloader. However, thanks to tools like my DOP-Mii, you are able to restore your IOSs if necessary. And if you're using PimpMyWii in the first place, you probably can figure out how to use DOP-Mii ;-)

Another controversy comes from PimpMyWii's repetitive use of pointers. This does have a certain 'risk factor' involved that should you be extremely unlucky and get some sort of memory corruption bug you could be in real trouble. A lot of developers including myself, giantpune, Daco, and others have been going out of are way and putting in sleepless nights to eliminate this practice but PimpMyWii's author shows no care about it. 99.999999% you're going to be fine, and thats good enough from him.

The last controversy (and I'm going to keep my opinion to myself and just give you the facts) is that the author of PimpMyWii has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to understand how the Wii works. Based upon conversations I and others have had with him (mostly in IRC) trying to help him solve his problems he gives the impression he doesn't know what he's doing beyond just copypasting pieces of code he finds in other projects and then not being able to fix resulting problems from doing so.

PimpMyWii isn't necessarily a "bad" program but it could be a lot better and safer and written in a way so that it does not interfere with other components on the Wii. I have a saying: If something works for you, say thank you, and shut up. And that's exactly what I'm doing; Shutting up now.

kylster

mich weich töten
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LoL some good points
smile.gif
im no programmer but what do you mean by "repetitive use of pointers"?

typically if it's something that may interfere with other homebrew, it bothers me as im a perfectionist
frown.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
OArikadoO said:
The last controversy (and I'm going to keep my opinion to myself and just give you the facts) is that the author of PimpMyWii has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to understand how the Wii works. Based upon conversations I and others have had with him (mostly in IRC) trying to help him solve his problems he gives the impression he doesn't know what he's doing beyond just copypasting pieces of code he finds in other projects and then not being able to fix resulting problems from doing so.

PimpMyWii isn't necessarily a "bad" program but it could be a lot better and safer and written in a way so that it does not interfere with other components on the Wii. I have a saying: If something works for you, say thank you, and shut up. And that's exactly what I'm doing; Shutting up now.

I agree with that (but does not understand either why using pointer is "bad", it's the basis of C coding), plus the fact this kind of "automated" tool might seem interesting at first glance for newbies but it generally ends up installing a bunch of stuff that was not necessarily useful when the user just wanted to play "backups" in the first place. For example, I always thought that installing priiloader on someone's Wii who have no clue about what it serves and what it can do is a very bad idea. In my opinion, the countless threads you can see here about people wanting to "revirginize" their Wii are due to these automated tool and the way it makes people "confused" about the state of their Wii.

QUOTEtypically if it's something that may interfere with other homebrew, it bothers me as im a perfectionist

perfectionists don't use that kind of program, they learn by themselves (these forums can be a great help for those not lazy do some research) and only install the necessary stuff once they fully understand what it does

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this
OArikadoO said:
the author of PimpMyWii has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to understand how the Wii works. Based upon conversations I and others have had with him (mostly in IRC) trying to help him solve his problems he gives the impression he doesn't know what he's doing beyond just copypasting pieces of code he finds in other projects and then not being able to fix resulting problems from doing so.

and this
QUOTE(Jacobeian @ Dec 2 2010, 03:44 AM) plus the fact this kind of "automated" tool might seem interesting at first glance for newbies but it generally ends up installing a bunch of stuff that was not necessarily useful

its a combination of the 2 that makes it terrible. i liken it to you getting a program for your computer that says

" i will completely delete every .dll in your system and replace it with the ones that i think are better. even though the designer of your computer seems to disagree. these replacement dlls will be sort of based off the official ones, but ill take some patches somebody once wrote and apply them to the new dlls even though i dont understand how they work. and im gonna do it with code that i have no idea about. ill just copy/paste it from somewhere else and i think it will probably work so there no need to worry.

you can trust me, i figured out how to install devkit so i know what im doing."

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I admit I knew nothing about softmodding the Wii (I STILL don't know what this 'CIOS xxx with base YY business' is all about) so I've tried both. (I can't remember which version of PimpMyWii it was & the Modmii I used was in fact the older version of 'NUSAD')

When I tried PMW first - I got my Wii softmodded up to a point, but had problems with the HBC 'black screening' @ random intervals when trying to run homebrew & I didn't have USB support
I then tried ModMii/NUSAD & that worked first time with no problems (after I realized I had to run it twice to get the USB HDD support)

When I tried to manually 'update' a IOS (can't remember which one it was) - I started getting problems with running games occasionally freezing up on me for example (I guess I was using the wrong 'base' or something)

Tried PimpMyWii again & kept getting 'stuck' on the re-softmodding part (black screens lockup etc),
so I then re-tried ModMii/NUSAD (telling it I had a 'virgin' Wii) - once again it worked first time (it in fact updated some IOS's I had that were outdated, since it was a newer version than the one I originally used)

So I'm biased towards ModMii 'cos I have had no problems softmodding with it, unlike when I've tried PimpMyWii

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@giantpune... I totally agree with your assessment of pimpmywii... but I have a question for u (albeit rather off topic), and I want u to be honest... what do u personally think of ModMii?

I can accept critisism, so don't pull any punches. Also, I realize someone of your skills would probably never NEED to use ModMii (but even I sometimes find it helpful even though I already know everything ModMii does), and I know the GUI (or lack thereof) sucks... but in terms of an efficient and safe method of modding a Wii, what do u think?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
@giantpune... I totally agree with your assessment of pimpmywii... but I have a question for u (albeit rather off topic), and I want u to be honest... what do u personally think of ModMii?

I can accept critisism, so don't pull any punches. Also, I realize someone of your skills would probably never NEED to use ModMii (but even I sometimes find it helpful even though I already know everything ModMii does), and I know the GUI (or lack thereof) sucks... but in terms of an efficient and safe method of modding a Wii, what do u think?
[sarcasm]ModMii, that piece of [blank]. I mean, all those pointers and just, I don't even have the words....[/sarcasm].

wink.gif
-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them