Picking out a Slot-1 flashcart

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Qmanol, Aug 14, 2007.

Aug 14, 2007

Picking out a Slot-1 flashcart by Qmanol at 8:52 AM (1,154 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Qmanol
    OP

Newcomer Qmanol Newbie

Australia
    So, I'm looking at finally getting a flashcart. Clearly the consensus here is towards the R4 and CycloDS Evo, but unfortunately, they don't seem to be available at the moment.

So, I'm tossing up between a G6 DS Real, which from what I understand, should be more compatible with games even without firmware updates, and should not suffer from slowdowns due to slow flash memory, and the EZ flash V, which seems to be the most attractive remaining microSD-based cart, and has the advantage of being designed to work with the 3-in-1.

Am I wrong about the G6 not needing new firmware for compatibility? Will it work with the 3-in-1 like the R4 and EZV do? How hard is it to get the proper brand SD card for the EZV? Is there a better cart than these two that I've missed?

I would kind of like to try running GB and GBC emulators, and homebrew, so that's an interesting point also. Would I just be better off waiting to see if the R4s ever come back in stock?

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    From my own tests with my 16GB G6DSR (I do not think the smaller models have such a problem), the 3in1 Tool by Rudolph does not function, loads, and freezes of a FAT Initialize screen, forcing me to hard reset, and then finding that half my files had been corrupted.

If you want homebrew right now (don't want to wait), do not get a G6 16GB.

3. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    The 16GB does suffer from some homebrew incompatibility at the moment, but it will be fixed soon. The 8GB however does not and works with everything I've thrown at it. I would recommend a G6 Real or a CycloDS Evo. The G6 Real is superior in my opinion but the choice is up to you.

4. grifter

Member grifter GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    there is places with an r4 still

5. Raisingod

Member Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    And as always patience is a virtue [​IMG]. Plus you might want to look into SCDSONE its a good cart .

6. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Yep, if R4 not possible, I'd go SCDS One.

7. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For the EZV I don't think its a matter of what memory you get (as long as it isn't faulty or fake), its a matter of getting the correct speed setting on the EZV for that memory. I just got an EZV I like it so far.

8. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    If you want cheap and 100% compatible, get an Ncard. It is like a basic G6. There are no cheats, but it works perfectly. Never lags. And the 8g costs 30$ from dealextreme. There are many clones` but they are all equal in quality.

9. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    well the g6R homebrew has been supposedly fixed, I tested some homebrew and it seems to work.

I think the cycloDS is worth the wait though. still my personal favorite.

10. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    The R4! And if you need SDHC (I dont see why you should need it) then the CycloDS Evo.

11. Calogero91

Member Calogero91 Gamertag: Calogero91 add me.

Canada
    Get an R4, there I said it.

12. xabier

Member xabier GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    this seems microsoft's "know the facts" campaign [​IMG]

13. Raisingod

Israel
    Man R4 fanboy/girl-ism is sure high [​IMG].

Anyway the R4 is a good chioce for those who want plug-'n' play with simple functions ( AKA no ingame guide/Wii conectivity { not really interesting for most since only one game use it} ) BUT even in that catgory it isn't the best ( Ncard clones lack cheat engine but comes with internal 1 GB flash {no lags} and it is cheaper )

14. Qmanol
    OP

Newcomer Qmanol Newbie

Australia
    Well, with the new G6 firmware out there I've decided to go for that. It is a bit expensive, but not having to shop around for 'fast' microSD cards is worth it to me.

15. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    From all the info I've been able to gather, you only have two real choices as the best....3 if you count a clone.

R4DS
    CycloDS Evolution

The 3rd being the M3 Simply, but it's just a re-branded R4 with a slightly different firmware.

16. Raisingod

Israel
    What about the Supercard DS one its (at least) the same level as R4 [​IMG]