Piano Tempers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Ryukouki, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Any long time piano tempers? Any musically adept people around here? [​IMG]

*goes back to singing Christmas carols* [​IMG]

2. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    +1 Me.

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TempLurker

Jan 1, 2010
    CyberSpace IQ:OVER 9000
    well my bro yes

4. ineap09

ineap09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Guyana
    Many places. O_O MemeLove: 4/5
    I know how to play quite a few songs on a piano, but I never learned how to read notes, or play with chords. Oh, and most of the songs I know how to play are video game music. [​IMG]

5. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    Does not playing the piano count?

6. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I'm a kind of piano temper. The kind that enjoys playing piano but not enough to take lessons (..again).
    I dont have a piano anymore though! been moving house too many times...

7. Didu50

Didu50 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Onett
    Me [​IMG] I have a Nice upright at home, and take lessons.

8. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Almost!

Apr 25, 2010
    United States
    California
    I do play the piano. But since I transfered a school, I don't receive lessons anymore and my keyboard broke [​IMG]

I use chords and notes for playing but horribly slow at notes.

9. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I used to play about 5 years ago, but I lost interest in it and moved onto the guitar. It's now my preferred instrument. [​IMG]

10. scrtmstr

scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2009
    Netherlands
    the Netherregions!
    I've played the keyboard for 3 years, so I can play the piano for a bit. But I'm not really a piano temper

11. CarbonX13

CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Aug 27, 2010
    Taiwan
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Yup. Ten years and counting of piano for me. Currently playing at what can be considered a "professional performer's" level. All the Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, etc.

12. Didu50

Didu50 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Onett
    7 years after August 2011. and to all else who play, Sightreading is FTW. Chopin's Raindrop sightread is beast. XD

13. leeday100196

leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernape™

Sep 24, 2010
    My computer in Sharpedo Bluff
    Musical prodigy over here! [​IMG] lol jks but i do play 3 instruments: guitar, PIANO (my best instrument) and recorder (but who doesn't know how to play that?). I can read ANY music sheet and my ex-piano teacher (i quit) says i have an ability called "perfect pitch." do any of you understand that fully, cuz i still don't fully understand perfect pitch

14. xx_cutie_xx

xx_cutie_xx GBAtemp Regular

Aug 12, 2010
    The Bay
    Me! [​IMG] I've been playing piano for eleven years.
    I read notes when I want to play classical songs but I play by ear when it's a pop song.
    I also taught myself guitar, drums and flute lol.

15. MilkPSP

MilkPSP Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2009
    United States
    Up your Slot 2
    I know how to play the piano, but I'm not good at it. I can play some Christmas carols, I guess, if someone gave me the sheet music. My sightreading is just short of bad. The only things I have managed to sightread are really easy songs. I'm talking Jingle Bells here -_-

16. Aeladya

Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

Nov 13, 2004
    United States
    Idaho Falls, ID
    I can play, but it's mostly self taught. I can usually play songs by ear and I haven't played in a long time. I had lessons when I was a kid, I went with my grandmother, playing by ear isn't something I was taught either, just something that comes naturally. The only song I know by heart is Ode to Joy...my family really wished I would've memorized another song, at least we don't have a piano anymore. My grandmother donated it to a school before she died. I have two guitars (which I don't play due to my small hand size and a curved pinky, making it difficult to play), and an ocarina (I wish to expand my collection). I used to play the flute as well and really wish to play again. I had to give it up due to my sister wanting to play trumpet and my grandmother couldn't afford both, so I gave it up.

17. Arnold Schwarzen

Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Gonna teach myself some over the winter break. No one's forcing me, just as a hobby.

18. lakaiskateboarding

lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    I have been playing piano for 3 years now. I am not really actively doing it though, so I don't progress that fast. I just do it for fun. I can read sheetmusic, but I can also play pretty well by ear.

19. Didu50

Didu50 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Onett
    Perfect Pitch means that Somebody can either play a note and you can name it, or sing a note when somebody names it. Something I dont have. XDD

20. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    the name reminded me of "The Well-Tempered Clavier".
    Anyway, I do have a keyboard (some ancient master keyboard older than myself), but I consider myself an awful player - next to no rhythm (which makes me fail epically at even Wii Music) and a really bad coordination in moving my hands accurately and independently (at least typing only requires very little simultaneous presses).

Regarding instruments like recorders, I did learn to play it in elementary school, but I have forgotten everything about it since. And sheet music... well, I can read it, but I have to translate it to names before I can apply it, I lack the natural understanding.