Not open for further replies.

elfhater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I have another question most of you guys are probably going to think is dumb... if, hypothetically, you could hack the 3DS through a .tiff file like you could to a PSP, would you be able to change the extension to .MPO or something else the 3DS could read? I know the 3DS can't read .tiff files, but if you were to change the extension of the file to .MPO, would the code still run? I honestly have absolutely no idea and I'm not even completely sure how the PSP hack worked, except I know it had something to do with .tiff files and executable code. Thanks
yaynds.gif

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
real hackers would need to find a proper way to pull it off and inject code, publicly nothing has been done. it is true you can put in stuff in one format then change the file extension to something else, one would need to know what code to inject. so you would have to know what you are doing to pull something like this off.

(if this post seems strange, its 11 PM and im mad that tempcraft wont let me use optifine
frown.gif
)

chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of unrelated but was there any type of protection on a psp at all. Theres like 85 ways to hack a 1g & 2g psp. I mean seriously a photo file, you could have thrown any random piece of code at it and it would have hacked itself. Aye yaaaaaaa Sony -_-

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Hypothetically speaking, a Photo exploit would be possible, but you must take into consideration the following variables.

It primarily depends on whether or not you are able to create a buffer overflow, and totally freeze the system. This also assumes that the Photo viewing app/program is NOT sandboxed. A true sandboxed app/program would be somewhat protected from such exploits, because it cannot freeze the entire system.

After all of that, the picture must contain ARM executable assembly code that is specific to Nintendo's proprietary variant of the ARM11 processor. This requires RAM research. Said RAM research is going to be much more difficult for TeamTwiizers (or whoever else makes an attempt), because unlike the TSOP chip package of the DSi, the RAM module within the 3DS is a BGA package. That means, the contacts to the chip are actually under the chip itself, and requires a complete removal of the chip via a hot air rework station, and a re-solder once the desired contacts are connected. Scanlime and the other folks over at TeamTwiizers have much experience working with TSOP packages. But, never have I witnessed them pull off a project that involves BGA packages, on a difficulty level such as this. Sure, they have desoldered BGA chips. Sure, they performed a RAM traces on TSOP chips. But have they ever performed a resolder of a BGA chip? Not that I know of....

Not to discourage anyone here, but although it is possible hypothetically speaking, to "hack" the 3DS in many different ways, I am sorry to say from my personal point of view that, this task simply doesn't seem possible, practically speaking.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fergieboy10 said:
This is kind of unrelated but was there any type of protection on a psp at all. Theres like 85 ways to hack a 1g & 2g psp. I mean seriously a photo file, you could have thrown any random piece of code at it and it would have hacked itself. Aye yaaaaaaa Sony -_-

To answer your question... The very first gen psp on it's original firmware could run unsigned code outright... A major oversight by sony. This was "fixed"for version 1.5... Except that a simple folder exploit reenabled it... The psp was pretty torn apart from day 1... Because of those early and original exploits the psp was pretty much an open console from the beginning.

elfhater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@AlanJohn, I don't see what the problem is with asking a question. If I'm ACTUALLY doing something wrong by posting a question on GBAtemp, I apologize. To everyone else that responded, thank you, I understand now.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:
Every thread with the word "Exploit" or "Hack" in the 3DS section must be locked/deleted.

It's always something like "Music Channel Exploit" then in the thread "Hey guys, I've had an idea, how about we use the music channel to hack the 3DS? I don't know how, but I thought maybe someone could do it and then credit me for having such a great idea. Thanks."

Or "How about we send a hack through download play? I don't even know things like keys exist or the first thing about hackign but there's my idea, kthx."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.