Phone Contract Help

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ~De arimasu, Feb 22, 2010.

Feb 22, 2010

Phone Contract Help by ~De arimasu at 5:15 PM (1,051 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. ~De arimasu
    OP

Member ~De arimasu GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So I need a new phone because the one I've been using for ages is well and truly buggered.

The problem is, I'm 17 until October. Not only this but I can't get my parents to do the credit check for it because my Dad's business went under leaving them with bad credit.

My question is, would it be possible to set it up under a friend's parent's credit details, and then when I turn 18, change the details so that all the information is under my name and the money comes out of my account?

2. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    your best bet would be to just pick up the phone and call your provider and ask them the details im not sure if what you want to do is possible but they would know better then anyone one on temp and its not like you have to tell them who you are you're just asking questions.

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Pay as you go sim card.

If you go onto a evil contract that doesn't tell if you go over, your friends parent will have a high bill.

4. ~De arimasu
    OP

United Kingdom
    Pay as you go isn't really an option since I'm wanting a £200 phone which I don't have.

I can easily pay the £15 a month though which comes with unlimited texts and 100 minutes, but I never ring people anyway so it's not like I'll ever go over.

I'll try ringing the provider tomorrow because they were closed when I rang a few minutes ago :/

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    They say unlimited, but its not really.

6. ~De arimasu
    OP

United Kingdom
    I know, but I doubt I'll use 12,000 texts in a month [​IMG]

7. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    i have unlimited texts and i probably go through about 5000 texts on average a month so yes it is unlimited

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    As an aside, on O2 Pay & Go assuming you never make calls you could pay £10 every 2 months for the same text deal [​IMG] Depends how important that one particular handset is to you.

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I have O2 Pay & Go; currently on Text and Web, so I top-up £15 a month and I can get 12,000 messages and 500MB of browsing. [​IMG]

What if you tried getting a cheaper phone for now and put some money aside to save for the new one? In the time you're saving, the price might well go down.

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I'm on the same deal [​IMG] I worked out if you top up, use the free allowance for one month, then skip a month to use up the £15 credit already on the phone it works out much cheaper than contract for my usage pattern.

11. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I still top up each month; I have the money to spend on it, so if I need to make any calls or if I don't get an allowance for any reason then I accumulate so much credit I'm safe. [​IMG]

We're probably kind of straying from the original question though.