PCSX2 emulator developer explains GPL code-related info regarding AetherSX2

pcsx22.png

The new AetherSX2 emulator made waves across the emulation scene when it was quietly announced to the world. It promised PlayStation 2 emulation on Android, and with good performance to boot, which left many wondering how this emulator came to be, especially after the release of DamonPS2, which used another PS2 emulator's code--PCSX2--without complying with GPL licensing, and even selling the software for profit. One of the developers from the PCSX2 team decided to look into the matter and release an explanation that clarifies some details about the mysterious new AetherSX2 emulator.

As it stands, PCSX2 is open source and complies with GPLv3, with three instances of code that are part of the software: debugger code from another emulator--PPSSPP, the FreeType library, and libmpeg2. With AetherSX2 presumably using the code from PCSX2, it would need to remove those GPL bits of code in order to not have any issues upon release. Fortunately, the two dev teams got in contact, and it appears that the remaining code won't be a problem by the time AetherSX2 is made publicly available. The FreeType OSD and PPSSPP debugger aren't used, as AetherSX2 has its own OSD and does not make use of any of the debugger code. Meanwhile, while it does use libmpeg2, the developer has stated that it'll be simply replaced by FFmpeg, meaning the entire project will be LGPL and in the clear.

The existence of these 3rd party GPL parts means that PCSX2 as a combined works needs to comply to the GPLv3 license but our source code that we own remains LGPL. By distributing the code when requested we comply with the GPLv3 license. See the GNU FAQ here and here. If these mentioned libraries are removed, the entire project would become purely LGPL licensed.

These concerns of course extended out to this new emulator, and we had to reach out about it to Tahlreth. After a good discussion with him about these issues, we have been assured that it will no longer be a problem by the time the emulator releases. Right now the only piece of GPL code they need to contend with is libmpeg2, which can be replaced with FFmpeg, which is under the LGPL license; this is something we planned on doing in the future, since libmpeg2 is over a decade old. As for the aforementioned debugger and Freetype code, they no longer exist. Aether has its own OSD and no debugger, meaning the emulator will be entirely LGPL.

:arrow: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's no way this is going to run properly on android even dolphin can't play the prime games at 1080p. only the pc has the power to do it and still it suffers with random freezes and ctd. i gauantee no games will run higher than 15fps unless you drop the rez considerally which is what you have to do on the dolphin on android

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't expect to see people arguing emulator bad on a site like GBAtemp lol. Excited to try this on my phone anyway. The 888+ seems capable of so much, but there's just not enough stuff out there that pushes it to its limits.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there's no way this is going to run properly on android even dolphin can't play the prime games at 1080p. only the pc has the power to do it and still it suffers with random freezes and ctd. i gauantee no games will run higher than 15fps unless you drop the rez considerally which is what you have to do on the dolphin on android
so dont play it at 1080p since the prime games were not 1080p games anyways also dolphin emulates the gc and wii has nothing to do with emulating the ps2 lol completely different emulators and architectures

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, now, there's no need to be upset at PCSX2, it's not their fault you have a shitty PC to emulate on.

But seriously, OG PS2 hardware and graphics look like shit on modern displays, you're the problem, not PCSX2.
PS2 emulation is really shitty. Most stuff plays well, but you get graphical glitches a lot. Especially if you switch from something like D3D to OpenGL or vice versa.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 emulation is really shitty. Most stuff plays well, but you get graphical glitches a lot. Especially if you switch from something like D3D to OpenGL or vice versa.
I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you. You must be using outdated graphics drivers or just have potato-grade hardware. Then again, I have a 3060 TI and 32 GB RAM. Please stop spreading bullshit information you know nothing about. Thanks.

Looks fine to me, must be your end. OG PS2 graphics look like shit in 2021, no anti-aliasing, poor filtering, low polygon counts, yeah, keep dreaming.

Reactions: urbanman2004

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with you. You must be using outdated graphics drivers or just have potato-grade hardware. Then again, I have a 3060 TI and 32 GB RAM. Please stop spreading bullshit information you know nothing about. Thanks.

Looks fine to me, must be your end. OG PS2 graphics look like shit in 2021, no anti-aliasing, poor filtering, low polygon counts, yeah, keep dreaming.

Except it's a known fact that PCSX2 emulation relies on a lot of software hacks for games leading to bugs. Tons of videos on YouTube and screenshots online showing said bugs. You should probably take your own advice.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except it's a known fact that PCSX2 emulation relies on a lot of software hacks for games leading to bugs. Tons of videos on YouTube and screenshots online showing said bugs. You should probably take your own advice.
Then don't use it and stick to the OG PS2 instead of bitching about it. Deal?

What the hell do you expect, cycle-accurate emulation? I'd love to see you armchair programmers do better.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
It is very likely that the device the person is using is not as fragile as a PS2 slim, also it is newer, so probability is that the emulator will live one, while the PS2 slim will run a bit more (upside down maybe) and eventually will stop reading disks.
Buy device for $$$ (To play with lags in many games) or buy ps2 and mod it for $$ (and play it how it should be)
Hmm... :)
I better buy 5 ps2 then xD

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Buy device for $$$ (To play with lags in many games) or buy ps2 and mod it for $$ (and play it how it should be)
Hmm... :)
I better buy 5 ps2 then xD
People may already have a PC for other reasons. Anyway, how much will cost you to play Rule of Rose on your OG hardware?

IMO, the best solution quality wise is indeed a HDD modded PS2 fat. Not the solution I use tho, I don't love PS2 as much as needed to commit myself to this solution, most people just want to play a handful of games easily. Emulation give people just that.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you also not get why people might enjoy classic cars even though they are objectively worse machines than modern cars?

Cost? Sorry but I really don't feel like paying exorbitant prices on used games or mods to play ISOs off of original PS2 hardware. Screw that.
I'd rather keep pirating PS2 games and not pay a cent for those damn scalpers.

Reactions: urbanman2004

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrade your POS garbage Android phone then or lower the emu's settings. I can run GameCube games in Dolphin w/o issue on my Android device utilizing a SD 860.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't, I just refuse to play OG PS2 hardware and buying games for it.
Depending on how I'm feeling, I sometimes I prefer to buy older consoles in order to mod them so I can play ISO's on original hardware, but when it comes to the features (and quality of life improvements) included w/ modern-day emulation it makes it a moot point.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
ps2 emulation is actually really good, theres been a boat load of games ive managed to play thru and finnish that i couldnt be assed doing on my ps2 and not alot of hacks needed these days, u mightwanna actually go have a look at the emulator lol its come a long long way
I tried PS2 emulation when I got my gts450, and tested it with FFX. It sucked. Then I got a 1060 6GB like 6 years later and tested the latest pcsx2 again with the same game. Still laggy and choppy bullshit. And both times my pc was up to snuff. I'll try pcsx2 again when I get home, but I'm not expecting miracles. The PS3 emulator has had better progress in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.