Hardware PCB change on new version Dock,MX25L512E(512 Kb CMOS flash) chip removed

HheuerZzhang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I check up my two switch dock, 1 is bought last year (Sep,2017) and one is bought recently.(April,2018)
I noticed that the new version dock, removed this chip: MX25L512E, it's a 512 Kb CMOS flash.
And some other tiny change on PCB layyout

I noticed this by repair my new dock, because the dock not able to carry over sound to TV since last Thursday (it was working normal earlier before that)
And i fixed the problem by remove the diode under HDMI socket, that diode mounted on the backside of the PCB, as I saying under the HDMI socket.
Guess what ?! Nintendo solder it improperly, (I measure it with probe) as revered !
My new dock never working well since the first day I open the box, sounds get mute when dock, and will recover by a hot unplug-plug.
Then on last week, it's out of work totally, I guess the diode finally wear-out, broken by a surge.
I remove the diode and short the pin, so far it's working .....

Reactions: whateverg1012

HheuerZzhang

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite a journey, but I failed to find a point.

point1: Nintendo removed the cmos flash for cost down reason
point2: Bad QA control.

sum-up: cost down version for every thing, here is the dock, lower quality than early release.
if you compare the new version and old version, console as well as joycon, i will feel that, the over-all quality of the NS(package) can get even worse.
No wonder, Nintendo style.

Reactions: Deleted User

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
point1: Nintendo removed the cmos flash for cost down reason
point2: Bad QA control.

sum-up: cost down version for every thing, here is the dock, lower quality than early release.
if you compare the new version and old version, console as well as joycon, i will feel that, the over-all quality of the NS(package) can get even worse.
No wonder, Nintendo style.
Sounds like nintendo alright.

Reactions: whateverg1012

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if the diode is just a fluke on the one or a whole batch. QC can't test every single product, so they test a couple from each batch. That means a few errors still slip through sometimes.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So because you got a bad dock, that automatically means Nintendo's QA is bad, lol. A chip, that you didn't even explain what it's for, was removed, and that to you means it's lower quality?

Also, since you said everything has gotten lower quality, go into more detail. How has everything else with the switch gotten "lower quality", from the "old" to the "new" versions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY