Gaming PC turning off randomly, CPU Problem?

leonheart_a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, recently i built a PC with my uncle and his friend. It all worked out and i was enjoying my PC. However from day 1 while im in the middle of something my PC turns it self off. First it was farcry 2. So i updated everything downloaded latest direct x i could and i thought that fixed it. But this still didnt sort out the problems. So since i got it it just randomly shuts off and its really been annoying. But now i checked my CPU temperature its around 80C on idle. And when im just watching something on youtube it goes around 120! And even then it just shuts off randomly to. I dont know if the CPU is meant to be as hot as this as this is the first time ive built a PC. But around 120 for hardly doing anything does seem odd.

My specs are:
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Intel Quad core Q9550 2.83ghz
4GB ram
1TB hard drive
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
LG Multi disc (It reads everything like blu-ray,hd-dvd and dvds etc)
800w PSU
Nvidia Geforce gtx 260

If you need any more information please ask. I really want to get this sorted as im just sick of it turning off when i dont want it to.

Thanks

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It may be a silly question but is your PC dirty?

By that I mean, how much dust do you see in the vents of your PC? Is it possible to open it and give it a spray of compressed air?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Like JKR said check the CPU fan for dust, it shouldnt get so hot, its switching itself off to protect itself. Either your PC is overheating due to too much dust and grime, or because one of its fans isnt working properly.

leonheart_a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay i'll check for dust and dirt now. It cant be the fans i can see them all working. And theres quite a few
tongue.gif

Thanks for the help. But what if it isnt dust or dirt? The pc Is pretty new.

Nintenterd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you install a heat sinc? (however you spell it, sound it out "Heat sinc") or is it just a fan on the CPU, p1ng is right, 120c is way to much over the right temperature, maybe you can go and buy a new fan or heat sinc, OR like my computer on the power box, there is a switch, shows how much power is going through it, maybe you can switch the switch and see if that works..

leonheart_a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right well im just going to finish watching this film and i will open it up and clean. Im glad to know that it is the CPU instead of not knowing what it could be. To Nintenterd i did place a heatsink on. And i dont have a power box.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's NOT supposed to be 80c on idle. Check that you applied thermal paste properly, and also that the heatsink and fan are attached properly.

leonheart_a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
okay i cleaned out what i could, but there wasnt like massive gather ups of sut or anything. Everything was attached fine.

But i didnt apply any thermal paste...Does thermal paste make a huge difference?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, if you bought a cheapo cooler thats another issue. You need a decent cooler for a core 2 quad. Though even with a stock cooler I was getting 45c idle. Thermal paste will make a big difference, especially if your heatsink doesn't have a thermal pad of its own...

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
leonheart_a said:
okay i cleaned out what i could, but there wasnt like massive gather ups of sut or anything. Everything was attached fine.

But i didnt apply any thermal paste...Does thermal paste make a huge difference?

Yes the paste acts as a bridge between your heatsink and CPU to dispensate heat. DO NOT turn your PC on again until you remove the heatsink and apply some paste. You can permanently damage your CPU without it, you have been warned!

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Just take it to a professional who knows what he's doing and ask him to rebuild it.

It's like $100 which is a lot cheaper than a new Q9550 and you obviously are the most clueless computer builder here yet.

A Core 2 processor running at 80 Celsius idle means roughly "this person doesn't have the slightest clue what he's doing".

Linky explaining the same thing except for the Afterburner. Replace Afterburner with computer.

EDIT: For reference, my properly installed Core 2 Duo E8400 runs at 45 Celsius without a fan during a 100% CPU use stress test.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Purple_Heart, then I will be actually older than him for a bit (ik thats not how ages work btw)