PC GamePad?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Akeno Hayashi, Aug 29, 2011.

Aug 29, 2011

PC GamePad? by Akeno Hayashi at 10:50 PM (1,331 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Akeno Hayashi
    OP

Newcomer Akeno Hayashi Member

United States
    Can anyone tell me any good gamepads for pc? less than 40 dollars. I don't mind if it is corded or likes vibration I just want something of good quality

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Logitech F310, don't know the price, though.

3. Akeno Hayashi
    OP

United States
    yay!! that's the one I ordered from amazon but it was taking too long to ship so I bought one from radioshack. I'm new to pc gaming.. I bought borderland but the radioshack controller is messed up. The analog stick its like instead of going down it goes up and vice versa
    EDIT: 24.99 plus shipping from amazon

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is probably an option in the game or joypad options for invert look or something like that which you should uncheck to avoid that (it is similar to plane controls which some people like).

Anyhow my suggestion for game pads is most current console controllers work with not too much effort and older ones tend to have adapters if you favour them.

5. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I have PSX gamepad adapter for Windows 7 and it works perfectly fine. I had been used it for over 2 years. [​IMG]

6. Akeno Hayashi
    OP

United States
    Well we have a few ps3 controllers but a friend told me that xbox360 controlles are really easy to use on a pc.. as for borderlands.. its not the settings that are wrong because it does it in the system menu also. I think its the controller it self

7. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    DO NOT get the Call of Duty PC Gamepad by Saitek. That thing is seriously flawed.

The control stick maxes out the sensors at just 3/4 of the way, and none of the bottons register after being held down for more than... 60 seconds.

No wonder TigerDirect had it on sale.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Same here. Adapters for PS2 controllers are easy and driver-less, and you can get the controllers kinda' cheap.

9. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
  10. EJames2100

Member EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Agreed with above, I use a 360 Wireless controller and it works great once configured.
    Only complaint is that when using it to move the mouse, it's just not as fast as a mouse.

11. haohmaru6

Newcomer haohmaru6 Advanced Member

United States
    For my money, I've been using for years a Saitek gamepad (not the call of duty one mentioned earlier.)
    The one I have is a P2500, with 6 buttons on surface (I play fighting games online a lot,) 2 shoulder triggers, 2 analog sticks, etc.

The newer version, which is the p2600, has 4 shoulder triggers instead of 2.

The P2500 / P2600 are the rumble versions.

The P880 is the non rumble version. It has 2 shoulder triggers.
    The P990 is the non rumble version. It has 4 shoulder triggers.

12. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    One word: calibration.

As far as gamepads go, getting a wired Xbox 360 gamepad seems like the easiest option. They're very cheap, familiar to gamers, and generally reliable. Not to mention game devs are increasingly supporting them.

13. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I use a wired 360 controller, i also use a sixaxis controller (if i'm playing PS1/2 games or need a wireless gamepad)

14. Akeno Hayashi
    OP

United States
    Well thanks a lot but I prefer to use things that are made with a specific purpose.. plus I don't have a 360 just a ps3. Buying an xboc control would run me about the same as a control specifically designed for pc

15. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I use a old Saitek "Rumble Force". Its worked great for my Emulation needs and (don't judge me) Minecraft. Tip: If a game doesn't support gamepads. Just download some software called xpadder and it lets you map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys. [​IMG]

16. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  17. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    You're a sick person for suggesting using a PS3 controller when it isn't absolutely necessary.

The best PC gamepad you can get for the price is a wired 360 controller. Plugs right in and works. However they're like $50 or something. But if you want something that isn't a piece of shit, prepare to spend more then $40.

For $40 I can suggest taping a cord to a rock and gluing some twigs and buttons* to that.

*buttons as in shirt/pant buttons...not a pressable button.

18. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    Trust me, you want a Logitech F710. Everyone should have a chance to try one [​IMG]

Their d-pads are amazing (looks can be deceiving! It looks like a 360 controller's d-pad, but it feels nothing like one), the vibration support works with most games, it comes with Xinput and Dinput out of the box which was a major selling point for me, it's wireless with great battery life, it's comfortable, and it's cheap.

Works great with games that support Xinput (Alice, Dirt 3, Bioshock, and much more) and is great for games that play better on a pad then a keyboard. Also works nice with emulators!

Don't believe me? Read the reviews.

19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Here in 'murrica they run around 30 bucks for a wired one.

However, I would MUCH more suggest modifying an original Xbox controller to use a USB port (super easy if you can solder, the Xbox cord is a USB cord with a proprietary connector + 1 wire (yellow), not needed. Pinout is then the same as USB, just put a normal USB male end on it) or buying an adapter. I like the feel of certain original Xbox controllers much better. Then, you just need to use the xbcd drivers (which can be a pain to find or get working for 64 bit installs, but definitely doable.)

But less hassle with a 360 controller.

20. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Afterglow xbox 360 controller. $30, natively supported in TONS of pc games, conplete with on-screen buttons.

I have a 360 Afterglow for my PC (360 gamepad), a Afterglow for my PS3, and afterglows for my Wii. I swear by them, they are much cheaper than first party and just as good imo.