iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think im done.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is my monitor which i already have for my ps3:
HP TSS-25M9 Black 25" HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers
EDIT: Forgot about mouse and keyboard. I have a wireless mouse i dont mind sticking with for a while, and a shitty tiny USB keyboard that will need to go ASAP, but that costs more money lol

My parts are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD53
GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Memory/RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Disk Drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner

Im gonna fit it all in:
Xigmatek Utgard Original Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

And power it all with:
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

Total comes up to $865 without shipping which (potentially) could be in place of ASUS G74SX-XT1 for $1500

My main question/concern is the power supply. Im unsure whether it will be good enough
EDIT: upgraded, how about now?

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
iggloovortex said:
So in my attempt to not be a total noob, I looked up what motherboards support i7 and found this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128506

My question for now is: is it compatible with all versions of i7?

EDIT: found out its not, but the i7 i picked also uses LGA 1155, so all good with that, expect more questions eventually
Only the I7 Extreme don't support this mobo
And the upcoming new Sandy Bridge E too probably won't support it
tongue.gif

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chhotu uttam said:
iggloovortex said:
Only the I7 Extreme don't support this mobo
And the upcoming new Sandy Bridge E too probably won't support it
tongue.gif
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...819115070

does this work?

--------------------------------------------------------------
and also, will this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...ht-_-11-133-179
(fixed)
work for my aforementioned motherboard?

EDIT: i want to change my case to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811815009

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
EDIT: Forgot to mention; you've linked the Core i7-2600K twice in your above post, instead of linking the case you were thinking of.

Little bit of history: There are two generations of Core i7. The older models, i7-8xx and i7-9xx worked on Intel Chipset series 5 motherboards (e.g. X58), either on LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 respectively. The newer model, i7-2600 and 2600K, works on Intel Chipset series 6 motherboards (H61, H67, P67 and Z68) which use LGA 1155. Later Sandy Bridge E will be released with LGA 2011.

The Core i7-2600K you picked out will work on any LGA 1155 motherboard. Here's a lil explanation on what the different motherboard types are:
H61: Budget motherboard. It can use the Intel HD 3000 graphics built into the CPU, however it typically lacks new features such as SATA III and USB3 and cannot overclock much at all.
H67: Mid-ranged motherboard. It can also use the integrated graphics, however has virtually no overclocking ability. Almost always comes with SATA III and USB3.
P67: High-end motherboard. It cannot use integrated graphics, however has much higher performance and virtually unlocked overclocking ability. Always comes with SATA III and USB3, and usually has a decent price too.
Z68: Newly released for enthusiasts or extreme users. It can use integrated graphics and can overclock. It also has special new features such as GPU virtualization (it can switch between the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics card depending on what you're doing) and SSD "Smart Response Technology" (caches frequently used HDD data onto the SSD if you have one to double or quadruple HDD performance). These features are niche and should only be considered by people who actually have the money to spend on such a system, especially as Z68 motherboards are much more expensive than P67 motherboards and P67 motherboards typically overclock better thus get better performance than the first wave of Z68 motherboards.

Additional note: if you plan to overclock, you will want a third-party heatsink (costs around $20-50) for cooling and high-grade thermal paste (costs around $8).

tl;dr: The Core i7-2600K you picked will work fine with the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P motherboard you picked, although unless you're after some extreme performance (e.g. high-resolution gaming or heavy rendering projects), it'll be wasted. Since you haven't mentioned what you're getting the parts for or how much you're willing to spend on a system, I'll assume you really need such a powerful computer for modelling or animation projects. If not, you're better off getting a Core i5-2500K and a MSI P67A-GD53 which is one of the three best motherboards at overclocking (and costs almost a third of the other two).

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
tl;dr: The Core i7-2600K you picked will work fine with the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P motherboard you picked, although unless you're after some extreme performance (e.g. high-resolution gaming or heavy rendering projects), it'll be wasted. Since you haven't mentioned what you're getting the parts for or how much you're willing to spend on a system, I'll assume you really need such a powerful computer for modelling or animation projects. If not, you're better off getting a Core i5-2500K and a MSI P67A-GD53 which is one of the three best motherboards at overclocking (and costs almost a third of the other two).
thanks for all the info, i think ill switch to the MSI, and as for the cpu, i like the idea of i7, but seeing as how i plan to use this build for high end long term gaming, it may not be necessary

Ill definitely trust your word over my greed lol

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I should've mentioned too, the difference between the Core i5-2500K and i7-2600K is a 100Mhz clock boost, slightly more L3 cache, and hyper threading (it gives each of the 4 physical cores an extra logical core to handle two threads at once).

In terms of gaming, there's almost no difference in performance between them (although tests have shown that in an ideal setup, the i7 can overclock around 200Mhz further than the i5).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can't tell clearly if the Xigmatek case has an intake fan at the front or not. I know the Thermaltake case does, which gives it fairly decent cooling.
EDIT: The Thermaltake case has 5 fans - front and bottom intake, two top and one back exhaust fans.

Also, the Xigmatek case looks suspiciously similar to an Antec 902. I have an Antec 1200.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I can't tell clearly if the Xigmatek case has an intake fan at the front or not. I know the Thermaltake case does, which gives it fairly decent cooling.
EDIT: The Thermaltake case has 5 fans - front and bottom intake, two top and one back exhaust fans.

Also, the Xigmatek case looks suspiciously similar to an Antec 902. I have an Antec 1200.
the thermal take has space for 5 fans, but only comes with one

JohnLoco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would go for the i5 instead, maybe 8gb cheaper ram and perhaps a more reliable brand regarding the PSU (with modular cables too?), and for the money you save you can buy a better case & SSD hard drive.

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JohnLoco said:
I would go for the i5 instead, maybe 8gb cheaper ram and perhaps a more reliable brand regarding the PSU (with modular cables too?), and for the money you save you can buy a better case & SSD hard drive.
switched to i5
case is good for me
ssd costs a decently high amount

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cut your ram in half, invest in a better slightly more powerful power supply. You will never need 16gigs of ram.

Actually, wow I didn't realize how cheap ram was...when I built my machine 8gigs of ram was that price. Either way, you do not and will not ever need 16 gigs, I'd save 50 bucks and get 8 and invest that 50 into a power supply. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182200 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817152042 a modular PSU would make your life so much easier.

iggloovortex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lunatics said:
Cut your ram in half, invest in a better slightly more powerful power supply. You will never need 16gigs of ram.

Actually, wow I didn't realize how cheap ram was...when I built my machine 8gigs of ram was that price. Either way, you do not and will not ever need 16 gigs, I'd save 50 bucks and get 8 and invest that 50 into a power supply. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182200 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817152042 a modular PSU would make your life so much easier.
ok thanks i picked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182200

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I edited my post with 2 power supplys. 500W will probably cut it for you, but you'll probably be using just about all of the power from it. It's always a good idea to have a power supply a little more powerful than you need so you have room to work with. Also, if you ever upgrade something down the line that draws more power, you may suddenly find yourself with a computer that won't run until you buy another one.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have almost the same parts as you

and you seem to be having troubles with your case

i went ahead with the Themraltake armor a90

thing is great, my 560ti idles at like 33, and 64 on MAX load (usually 55 on a normal game); great airflow and i still havn't added the extra 2 intake fans.

as per PSU we had a chat about it in MY thread here, i suggest you highly read it for you dnt wanna mess around with getting the wrong or some cheapo PSU

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=301...p;#entry3778047

I really dnt like the PSU you picked out, if your willing to shell the extra money (which i get the feeling you are not) then definitely go for Seasonic, Thermaltake or Gigbabyte. In other words the brand name means A LOT in the world of PSU's

Originality can help you out much more than i can, he gave me some tips back when i was picking the parts, yet all in all it's just advice, you can choose to buy wahtever you want

yet in theory that PSU you have listed should work - yet its not something i would use.
Best of luck ! .. really fun building a PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol