PayPal

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by sonknuck23, Sep 25, 2010.

Sep 25, 2010

PayPal by sonknuck23 at 1:55 PM (1,388 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    So, I decided that now that I'm on my own and etc, getting my dad to buy things for me by giving him money and him doing it is STILL relying on him, so I said "fuck it". I'll do it myself.

I successfully manged to link my PayPal to my bank account, only to find out that after trying to make a purchase, I STILL need to input a credit card as a "backup payment source." (Yeah, 'cause I'm trying to buy shit from my debit with insufficient funds. Good one, PayPal.) It says "Input a Credit, or Debit card for backup payment." And then it asks me for expiry dates and credit card info. I'm like "Wait, didn't you say credit OR debit?" So I'm fucking confused, I linked my paypal to my bank account so avoid having to get a credit card to buy shit online, ONLY to find out that I STILL need a fucking credit card?!

Someone PLEASE tell me I'm wrong, and if I am, PLEASE tell me what I'm DOING wrong because I'm super fucking mad.

thx, luv u guyz.

2. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    When I linked my bank account to my PayPal I still didn't need to put my debit card, but I needed to call my bank to make A TRANSFER to Paypal's account rather then paypal requesting a pay-check
    Btw: for a company that takes so much money from the second party, PayPal is a serious fail

3. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, PayPal kind of blows. This is what I get:

"Your recipient requires instant payments. To pay instantly from your bank account BMO Chequing (Confirmed) -MY BANK NUMBER HERE-, simply link a debit or credit card as a backup payment source. We'll charge this card only if your bank payment can't be processed."

What was the fucking point, then?! I did this so I DIDN'T have to get a credit card. And It wont let me input my debit card, 'cause my debit card is with BMO, and the cards listed are Visa, MasterCard, and Amex. Those aren't even fucking debit cards?!

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I'm pretty sure you can use PayPal without a credit card, if you make use of PayPal Cash (which is money that is 'stored' on PayPal, but not on a credit card).

5. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Yeah but if I transfer money to my PayPal it takes 6-8 business days. (hooray for living in Canada.)

6. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    no those are credit cards which means your probably still under the "credit card" option look around the page and try changing it to Debit card (haven't used PayPal in awhile)

7. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Nah, I found out, they do mean debit cards but they have to be "International" debit cards, which have the Visa, MasterCard, or Amex logo on them.

F my life.

8. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Buy a $25 pre-paid Visa gift card at a convenience store or something. That's what I did.

9. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    I don't think they have those around here, I've never seen one to be honest. The only one's I've seen need to be ordered online and shit. Anyway, the thing is my purchase comes to 25.03, so that's 3 cents over which I'm guessing actually matters. Lol.

Whatever, my dad said he'll just do it for me, so I'm gonna' send him the money, and in the future I'll just get that super awesome BMO pre-paid credit card.

It's super dope, apparently you pay 9.95$ and it lasts for 3 years with absolutely NO charges or anything AND transferring money from your bank account to it is INSTANT.

BMO = The Shit.

10. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I requested a transfer 4 months ago, still no response\letter, hooray for living in Israel

11. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    They only ask for that if you don't have any available funds in your PayPal balance

12. GutsMan.EXE

Member GutsMan.EXE GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I have a debit card and i set this up when i was 16 with paypal:

1) Link your Bank
    2) Link your card
    3) Verify everything eg. home address, phone number etc.
    4) ???
    5) Profit

Naa but seriously do the first 3 steps and your sorted to use paypal, you don't need to have any funds in your account to use it. Your paypal account and bank account will be used as primary funds and your card will be the secondary funds (Step 1-3 will take several days). This is really stupid as the stuff i use (have more then 1 bank) my debit card is directly linked to the bank account so if 1 fails they'll both fail lol.

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I somehow managed to get Paypal to link with my bank account, with the backup option set to the debit card that was linked to that same bank account. Not sure how I managed that.

Nevertheless, I would see if it's possible to get a credit card, depending on your age of course. Always good to have something with which to get your credit score boosted. You'll need it eventually.

14. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Umm...

For me I set up my Paypal to link my banking account only. I didn't input any info regarding debit card or credit card. What I do is I request money from my banking account to Paypal. Once it Paypal has the money I will then make the purchase. From what I heard if you use debit card or credit card Paypal will use cash advance, charging you more fees than necessary.

15. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Honestly, I just used my debit to link to the "Credit" part. You're making it harder than it actually is. :/

16. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    lol

Not sure if you mean OP or me. I personally don't like debit or check card. They took money from you immediately (in other words, 100% access to your account) and you can't dispute it should something goes wrong.

17. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    I don't know. I tried inputting my Debit card in the credit section, but. . my debit card doesn't have a 3 digit code OR an expiration date.

Either way, I'm happy; I transferred the $$$ to my dad, and it's a good thing he did: what I bought, there was only one available (I wasn't aware), and I checked the site and now the item is gone.

Thank GOD.

18. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    You don't have to use the debit card as the transfer medium, use your bank for instant transfers as well.