Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I just received this email..

Dear valued PayPal® member:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:

http: //www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up, there should be a giant thready of all important phishing emails like this one, keep people aware of them :/

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
dudeonline said:
Recognizing a phishing email is Internet Safety 101
Using a GMAIL and filtering that crap is also supra internet 101...

AND still reading through, and checking URL of any site that wants anything.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
There is one tip I ALWAYS tell people when they recieve emails of this type

No company that deals with money will EVER ask you to confirm your account details via a link within a email

If in doubt contact the company involved DIRECTLY, via their website 'Contact us' (through your browser NOT a link within an email) to confirm the email
OR by telephoning them (if it's a High street bank etc)

Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Thanks for the heads up, there should be a giant thready of all important phishing emails like this one, keep people aware of them :/
Actually i did a search & found this page that might be what you mean

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
CannonFoddr said:
No company that deals with money will EVER ask you to confirm your account details via a link within a email

If in doubt contact the company involved DIRECTLY, via their website 'Contact us' (through your browser NOT a link within an email) to confirm the email
OR by telephoning them (if it's a High street bank etc)
This. I wonder why people can still be tricked into believing a mail like that is real. Isn't it obvious that it's phishing?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Besides, when you hover your mouse pointer over the fake link, you'll see the real link on the status bar on the bottom of the page.
Many times the link is displayed in a way that makes it look authentic, but when you click on it you go somewhere else.
So understanding the difference between a legitimate link, and a fake/misleading one is also very important.
One smart thing to do would cut and copy the link directly in your web browser, not by clicking on it.
But then a think of all the less experienced computer people out there and I can see out of the hundreds of thousands of this type of fishing emails sent around the world everyday , a lot of people actually fall for it.
You'd be surprised.
When I get this kind of emails, not only I flag it as spam, I actually report it as abuse so that they can actually do something about it.
I mean such email is clearly designed for criminal purposes , I don't understand why the big sites ( like yahoo or paypal itself ) can't take legal action and find out where the emails originated and lead to the arrest of these people.
I've been getting these phishing emails for years now, you'd think they would actually learn and do something about it other then mark it as spam.........

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM