Password Protecting Wii on Startup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tsuteto, Aug 15, 2012.

Aug 15, 2012
  1. Tsuteto
    OP

Member Tsuteto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Humorous thing, it's for me (wife would have the password), not for others XD Yay for limiting distractions for school studies

Anyways, I've got, of course, HBC installed, as well as Priiloader. The Parental Controls that are already within the console of course still leave the HBC wide open, which is the main use of, well, anything really. What I would like to know is if there's a way to password protect the Wii on the startup completely. I know Priiloader has some password options, but from the guides I find, none of them are very clear on if it password protects just Priiloader, or the whole Wii (that and the whole "password.txt" thing is kind of confusing also, since I don't know of any guide that clearly explains such).

Suggestions? Anyone?

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I think the priiloader password.txt thing prevents access to the whole wii without the password, but I'm not sure as I haven't installed it. I do however recall something about how if you forgot/lost the password after it was setup, there was no way to ever access your Wii again, unless you were able to restore a NAND dump (i.e. BootMii/boot2 or hardware NAND reprogrammer e.g. Infectus). i.e. no password recovery mechanism or whatever.

3. dicamarques

Member dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Portugal
    theres a hack in priiloader that freezes your wii at boot, and you have to manually disable it if you want to start it
    EDIT: 500 post yay for me :)

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    I've never bothered to use it personally, but you're correct, there is a password protect feature on priiloader. There's 2 kinds of passwords, one to access priiloader, and the other to access anything. However, in both cases, if you forget the password there is a secret backdoor. I can't remember what it is right now, but if you have a certain file saved to the root of your sd card it will unlock without needing a password. I'm pretty sure the details are somewhere in the priiloader changelog\wiki.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Not very secure then, the OP would easily be able to find a way to bypass it, and then he'd be distracted from his studies again.

The simple solution is this: get your wife to lock the Wii away in a lockable cupboard or something, or else get her to take it away to a friend's/relative's house until you're done with your studies for a while and want to play again.

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Problem with that solution is then no one in the house can use the Wii.

Instead, maybe password protect it then have the wife hide all your SD cards. That way your wife can use the Wii, and if if she thinks you've earned a study break she can enter the password for you and give you a turn.

Or, u can just tell your wife to give u shit if she sees u playing games when u should be studying... I don't know about your situation, but fear of my wife's wrath would be more than enough of a deterent for me to quit playing games for awhile, lol.

edit:
    That idea might not work, cuz there's another backdoor that doesn't need an SD card.

Priiloader v0.5 changelog:
    *Added a password backdoor incase you forgot the password. To change the password temporary to "BackDoor" press on the Password Screen "1" and then 4 times "2" on the Remote or "Y" and 4 times "X" on GC/Classic.

You're best bet is to give the wife instructions to give u shit if she catches u playing games, or just have her hide the Wii (or just power brick) entirely.