Hacking Question Own game updateserver possible?

Memfis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As you know, with Firmware =< 4.1.0 we can't update games. My question is, if it's possible to host updates on an extra server and use manual dns settings to load it. As the updates are signed, they should be installed without any exploit neded? (As we have none for now)

I know some updates will update the console, too, but with an own updateserver we can make sure, that this doesen't happen.
My problem is, that I have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Version 1.0.0. I think it' better to update to version 1.1.1, 1.2.0 or 1.3.0 than no to update.

New Switch users will have the problem in other games, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and other games, so I think that should be an usfull thing.

Edit: And if it isn't possible to redirect update requests to another server, is it possible to redirect the update requests at Nintendos server to an older updateversion, if they are still available?

Last edited by Memfis,
Reactions: PacPera

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
In order for that to happen, first we'd need to be able to extract the update files from the nand/SD (dunno where exactly they're stored once downloaded) and then, have a download manager enabled on the browser, after that, a program similar to FBI is needed to install those packages.

I mean, I know nothing about the scene but afaik none of the above exist as of today.

D

Deleted-442439

As you know, with Firmware =< 4.1.0 we can't update games. My question is, if it's possible to host updates on an extra server and use manual dns settings to load it. As the updates are signed, they should be installed without any exploit neded? (As we have none for now)

I know some updates will update the console, too, but with an own updateserver we can make sure, that this doesen't happen.
My problem is, that I have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Version 1.0.0. I think it' better to update to version 1.1.1, 1.2.0 or 1.3.0 than no to update.

New Switch users will have the problem in other games, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and other games, so I think that should be an usfull thing.

Hmm, not on Vanilla Switch, we would need to modify the NIM module of the OS to accept the custom server, the whole crypto system would require us to have CFW sadly.

Reactions: Rauliki

evilpdor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
for what I tested on 3DS with the system update, we can fully clone the update process with fiddler (or similar application). Its easy to do, and is redistributable. But you I think you can only clone the service. If someone had done this with the 3.0.0(or other) update all ppl with lower firmware would get that firmware bypassing the ninty server/games. Probably this process could be done to update a game.

Last edited by evilpdor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1