Overheating problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Joey Ravn, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009

Overheating problem by Joey Ravn at 3:12 PM (775 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Joey Ravn
    OP

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    [​IMG]

That's the SpeedFan report from a friend's laptop. She's having problems with most of the games she tries to play, specially those that are intense on the graphics side, like Oblivion or Assassin's Creed. After just a couple minutes, the PC shuts down. As you can see, the temperature of the GPU is off-the-roof. If she places the laptop on her lap, she's able to play normally. I guess this is because the air flow is better than if placed on a plain surface, like a table. She's tried removing most of the dust inside the laptop to no avail.

Can you think of a way to solve these issues?

2. Primenay13

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try getting a cooling device from best buy or online at ebay. Get one that covers bottom of the laptop its the kind I have and works great!

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Aside from opening it up and repasting with better thermal conductive paste, not much. She could use one of those laptop cooling pads though...

The CPU is still within intel specs though I suppose (assuming it is a core 2 duo, 65nm).

4. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    You could prop up the back for better airflow that is what I had do on my laptop to stop it shutting down or make a DIY stand like these while you wait for a proper one to be delivered.

5. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    does she still have warranty? If yes...take it back and let them repair it...this is a piece of shit in construction if it overheats that easily

6. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well, you have already done my first suggestion, but you may want to have a second go over with a compressed air duster. I have taken a laptop constantly overheating to how it was new just by spraying compressed air into the air outlet

other than that, are you sure the fan is ok? it may have worn out