Hardware Overclocking SD card

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can even overclock SD card on a 3DS. It just sounds dangerous to even try, but, if it is possible..then, it should increase loading times. But not enough for you to potentially damage a perfectly speedy SD card.

tl;dr Pointless.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is gold

326f80d8407182d94b3515aa2476d2e9.png

Reactions: EpicLPer and lytro

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, if really want faster speeds, you can buy some really strong magnets (like rare earth magnets) and put them next to your sd card. Normally, the electrical charges going to and from your sd card move in random directions and bounce off the inside of the wire before reaching their destination. By using a strong magnet, you force the charges to align and so the charges move faster. This should considerably increase your sd card load rate. I learned this in my psychics for engineers class.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Actually, if really want faster speeds, you can buy some really strong magnets (like rare earth magnets) and put them next to your sd card. Normally, the electrical charges going to and from your sd card move in random directions and bounce off the inside of the wire before reaching their destination. By using a strong magnet, you force the charges to align and so the charges move faster. This should considerably increase your sd card load rate. I learned this in my psychics for engineers class.
Facepalm-Meme-04.png

Last edited by EpicLPer,

falken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually actually SD has a clock spectrum, so it is indeed possible to raise the clock speed (aka overclock). Has to be done on the host though.

edit: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/part1_410.pdf, page 61.

Only by replacing the components, and that wouldn't be overclocking as overclocking requires you to run the existing hardware at faster speeds... Would be like saying i'm going to overclock my pc by replacing the CPU...

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, that only works when you're increasing the magnetic strength of your HDD. Doesn't do a whole lot for flash-based storage, but if your laptop drive's a bit slow you can try it.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Only by replacing the components, and that wouldn't be overclocking as overclocking requires you to run the existing hardware at faster speeds... Would be like saying i'm going to overclock my pc by replacing the CPU...

While I haven't looked into the schematics I don't believe the SD clock gets generated purely in hardware on the 3DS, especially as the SD spec demands a slow clock for init and only allows it to be increased after the capabilities of host and clients had been negotiated.

Shouldn't be worth the hassle to try it anyway, though.

edit: @ all the naysayers: did you also point and laugh at Galilei for this stupid "earth orbits sun" hogwash?

Last edited by bkifft,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1