Other hard disk erasers?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Found myself with a pile of old hard drives that I collected from years of scavaging so I thought it would be nice to erase them properly before I ebay them. At the moment I tried using Active Eraser but is there other alternatives?

2. xJonny

xJonny ...

Aug 16, 2007
  3. Filter

Filter GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2008
    United States
  4. epicelite

epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

May 29, 2008
    United States
    Earth
  5. Taza

Taza GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2007
    Finland
    Scruffy seconds.

6. Tanas

Tanas GBAtemp Addict

Aug 19, 2006
    I use the Free Space Washing option in Window Washer.

All this crap about having to do multiple passes so that the data cannot be recovered is a load of crap, there is no program that can recover data after only one pass.
    Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional is about the best recovery software you can get, and even that is unable to recover a single file after only one pass.

7. Taza

Taza GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2007
    Finland
    There's plenty of software that might be able to read data after a single pass. Not always though.

Past that, there's hardware approaches. Even those stop working after 7 passes according to the US government.

8. Tanas

Tanas GBAtemp Addict

Aug 19, 2006
    That simply isnt true.

9. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    One pass (0s) generaly isn't enough if you really want to get to the data you can. Use whatever tool you have and let it do random writes for at least one pass, that should be enough but if you wanna be safe do some more.