Original xbox wifi adapter set up?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of these I'm trying to set up so I can wirelessly transfer files to my XBOX.

17682576-1.jpg

Buuut I have no idea on how to set it up, it powers on but doesnt read, guessing theres some software I need to run.

My main dash is xbmc chipped with Aladin.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I did some reading, and this is what I found:
There is a disc that has to be used to set it up on the Xbox, and the ISO for that disc can be found online relatively easily. I don't know what it falls under, so I won't link it, but just remember when googling to use "original xbox", otherwise all of your results will be about the 360 (and even then half of your results will be about the 360). Besides that though, the disc can not run the set up on a modded dash. It basically has to detect a stock dash in order to install it, and that means you basically have to disable your mod in order to run the network installation. This alone makes it not terribly worth it, imo, and I don't even know how you would disable a chip mod like that. Otherwise, after that, you can re-mod and the network stuff keeps working.

A note about the adapter: it is WEP only, so if you have any kind of modern security setting on your router, this won't do jack for you.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I got it going the other night but found out you can only use it asl 64bit/128bit encryptions so I just decided to hang a 2nd ethernet cables up thats going to be connected directly from the router to the xbox.

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of them are just rebranded linksys wireless bridges that can be re-flashed
with a firmware that enables WPA, but it's kind of a hassle and doesn't really work
that well.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, you go to whatever electronics retailer stocks one at a price you are willing to pay (they are really not expensive for basic ones, if you want multiple wires/an inbuilt switch, ones that are crazy fast*, or ones that pass through so you can still use the socket then you might pay a bit more), plug one of the set into the wall with a live ethernet cable, plug the other end where you want the other end (make sure neither are on one of those surge protectors) and carry on with life. If you are unlucky or very slow in getting across your house you will have to press the sync button. It is better if they are on the same power ring/strap, on the same phase (probably not an issue in a domestic setup) and not on the same ring/strap as a noisy device (star lift/elevator, general elevator, industrial machinery...).

*modern ones usually hit around 400mbps, or north of 100mbps that your device likely runs at, more than fast enough to stream music and films around your house, and definitely north of what most people get as their internet speed.

Edit. Might as well link something up
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/

Oh and if you have any short wave radio enthusiasts nearby you might not be their friend after you install this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not really installed any in the US since the early days of it hitting consumer world (dark times those) and the differences in wiring mean I am reluctant to say. Around here it pretty much is how much you want to pay and if you want passthrough for sockets or an inbuilt switch. For the most part it is about getting on the internet/something more reliable than wireless at the other end of the house for all the installs I have done, if someone had need of that and constant gigabit then I would probably say we are drilling holes instead.

That device. Yeah if you have a wifi enabled laptop or something similar you can stick it in, it is not going to do much of anything by itself on the original xbox (not even if you make a USB adapter and use a distro of xbox linux). Equally if you have a wifi enabled laptop then you can probably just use the ethernet port it already has as a bridge ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-network-bridge#1TC=windows-7 , http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14398 https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections )

Reactions: K3Nv2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards