Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi tempers, so i'm going to buy some new parts to my old PC, i mainly use it for video editing, gaming and internet
Here are the current specs:
  • Dual core E2180 @2.00ghz (OC to 2.60Ghz)
    3Gb DDR2 660 mhz
    nVidia Gt520
    Asus P5K-SE
    a 450w PSU of unknown brand (too lazy to see the name)
Its basically the first time I choose parts for my computer so trying to get the best with my money :)
And here the new parts:
Cpu: i5-3330 3.3GHz 169€, i3-3220 3.3GHz 110€
Motherboard: Asus P8B75 M LE (dual GPU) or Gigabyte GA Q67M D2H B3 (also dual GPU)
I might buy an ati gpu someday since they a bit cheaper and these mobos are crossfire compatible
Ram: Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333MHz HyperX Blu KHX1333C9D3B1 4G
Not sure if its better using 2 rams of 2gb or 1 ram of 4gb

And thats what i'm going to upgrade on my pc atm.

Any tips, suggestions? ;)

Another question, difference between Ivy bridge and sandy bridge?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Video editing wise, i5 will be better than i3. You are highly recommended to use 8GB of RAM (in 2 sticks of 4GB), 4GB is very low for video editing now days. Ivy is 5% to 10% faster than Sandy clock to clock.

You don't want to Crossfire on those two motherboards, since both motherboards uses cheaper x16/x4 layout both of your GPU will slow down to x4. Running GPU in x4 is crippling their performance individually.

SLI and Crossfire should only be done on x8/x8 layout, which is only found in Z77 motherboard.

Reactions: Rydian

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Video editing wise, i5 will be better than i3. You are highly recommended to use 8GB of RAM (in 2 sticks of 4GB), 4GB is very low for video editing now days. Ivy is 5% to 10% faster than Sandy clock to clock.

You don't want to Crossfire on those two motherboards, since both motherboards uses cheaper x16/x4 layout both of your GPU will slow down to x4. Running GPU in x4 is crippling their performance individually.

SLI and Crossfire should only be done on x8/x8 layout, which is only found in Z77 motherboard.
Video editing is like the third thing I do on my pc. First gaming, second browsing, third video editing. And generally I just crop a video ,add a effect or two ans render it. But is it better to use 2 sticks instead of one with the same size?

Hm that's bad about the gpu didn't noticed the speeds of the pci-e I had those board in.mind because they had pci not because of the dual pci-e slot might reconsider on that :unsure:

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It is better to get 2x4GB RAM than 4x2GB RAM because the more DIMMs you use, the more unstable the RAM gets (tweakers add extra voltage to the RAM to counter that). On the other hand, it is better to have 2x2GB RAM than 1x4GB RAM, because a single DIMM cannot run in dual-channel mode, which will effectively half its performance.

Multi-GPU setups are bad for gaming because microstuttering. It is always better (for gaming and in general) to get a better single GPU graphics card than two or more weaker graphics cards for the same price. For video editing/animation/modelling/etc, it's a different story... but that's not you.

Since your PSU is from an unknown brand, I'd also recommend swapping it out as soon as you can afford to.

Reactions: Rydian

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
It is better to get 2x4GB RAM than 4x2GB RAM because the more DIMMs you use, the more unstable the RAM gets (tweakers add extra voltage to the RAM to counter that). On the other hand, it is better to have 2x2GB RAM than 1x4GB RAM, because a single DIMM cannot run in dual-channel mode, which will effectively half its performance.

Multi-GPU setups are bad for gaming because microstuttering. It is always better (for gaming and in general) to get a better single GPU graphics card than two or more weaker graphics cards for the same price. For video editing/animation/modelling/etc, it's a different story... but that's not you.

Since your PSU is from an unknown brand, I'd also recommend swapping it out as soon as you can afford to.
I'm going to keep 1 stick of 4gb and later on i'll buy another 4gb stick.
I choosed these mobos because they have pci (i have a pci tv tunner and i need at least one pci port) the dual gpu was a bonus, the asus mobo has a feature that can use the GPU and the Intel gpu on the cpu, will it give a boost on gaming or it will only use my nvidia gpu?
Since these mobos seem a bit bad anyone has a suggestion for a good motherboard for around the same price?

About the psu, its true i need to buy a new one, but i'll buy it later on (it doenst even has a pci-e power cable so cant buy a gpu that needs more power).

Basically i was going to buy a new cpu, but i want a i3 minimum so i needed a new motherboard, and since i dont have any DDR3 sticks i need new ram ;) One thing took me to another.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to keep 1 stick of 4gb and later on i'll buy another 4gb stick.
I choosed these mobos because they have pci (i have a pci tv tunner and i need at least one pci port) the dual gpu was a bonus, the asus mobo has a feature that can use the GPU and the Intel gpu on the cpu, will it give a boost on gaming or it will only use my nvidia gpu?
Since these mobos seem a bit bad anyone has a suggestion for a good motherboard for around the same price?

About the psu, its true i need to buy a new one, but i'll buy it later on (it doenst even has a pci-e power cable so cant buy a gpu that needs more power).

Basically i was going to buy a new cpu, but i want a i3 minimum so i needed a new motherboard, and since i dont have any DDR3 sticks i need new ram ;) One thing took me to another.
You mean Lucid Virtu? Personally I find Virtu to be more problematic than beneficial. It will boost in certain games, while introducing problems in others. Like Originality have said, it is always better to deal with one GPU.

It's not that those motherboards are bad, is that I don't recommend you Crossfire. Since Intel CPU consumes so little power, practically any motherboard will work. Personally any motherboard that uses solid capacitor is darn good enough (both motherboards are). Since you need PCI slot, just stick with those two motherboards (B75 and Q67 provide native PCI, unlike other which will use PCIe to PCI bridge instead).

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
no good for gaming i have pc with 16gb ram 2gb graphic card core i7 processor 3.4ghz boost upto 3.9ghz and 2tb harddrive u should buy a pc with this specs

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
no good for gaming i have pc with 16gb ram 2gb graphic card core i7 processor 3.4ghz boost upto 3.9ghz and 2tb harddrive u should buy a pc with this specs
Do you have any idea what you're actually talking about?

16GB of RAM is not needed for most games. Personally I'm using 6GB RAM on an older computer and while I do plan on upgrading to more RAM at a later point I've not had any RAM-related gaming issues with this amount of memory.

2GB graphics card means absolutely nothing other than the fact that it has 2GB VRAM. It says absolutely nothing about the performance of the GPU.

Intel Core i7s are nice for gaming, but not a requirement. When it comes to Intel CPUs most people should do just fine with an i5 or maybe even an i3 or lower.

2TB harddrive says nothing about the performance of the HDD in question, it just mentions the storage capacity. It could be anything from a low-power drive with terrible performance to a high-performance drive.

Reactions: Originality

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
oh so ur saying that it is useless it can play games without hanging it plays games smoothly u will see after 2 or 3 year later ther will be games that will need 16gb of ram i am thinking of getting 8gb ram and 2gb graphic card for upgrade graphic card is not useless graphic card is important for games graphic u don,t kn a single thing about latest pc

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
oh so ur saying that it is useless it can play games without hanging it plays games smoothly u will see after 2 or 3 year later ther will be games that will need 16gb of ram i am thinking of getting 8gb ram and 2gb graphic card for upgrade graphic card is not useless graphic card is important for games graphic u don,t kn a single thing about latest pc

I hope u hav a titan black z cause in 2 or 3 years later u will need 1 to play gaemes in 640x480 with 15FPS

@topic, go with the i5, the extra cost is worth the investment, especially for video editing.
Also, 1x4GB is better than 2x2GB.

Reactions: Originality

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just to point out, this thread is nearly 2 years old. The OP got his answer long ago, so the advice is kinda falling on deaf ears.
You're wrong for a number of reasons, and I'm sure others would love to explain. The only thing I'll counter is your claim that games in 3 years will need 16GB of RAM. Currently the biggest memory hogging games are Minecraft and Watch Dogs. Both of these are due to poor optimisation in the code, so more has to be stored in the memory. Before that, no game would ever take more than 4GB of RAM under normal circumstances (I.e. Memory leak). Even now, Watch Dogs only states 6GB as recommended RAM.

The most common RAM for a system to have is 3GB. 4GB is generally the standard for any system sold today, whilst many opt for 6-8GB because RAM is very cheap nowadays (although that is about to change with the shift to DDR4). This means that games in development now will be designed to take no more than that, or they'd be cutting off the biggest part of the PC user base. Then there's the fact that consoles only have up to 8GB of memory, so yeah, games won't require 16GB of RAM for at least another console cycle (4-8 years).

Everything else... Someone else can have fun pointing them out

Reactions: Minox

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Just for information, I have now
i3-3220 3.3GHz,
Asus p8b75m-lx
2* DDR3 4GB 1333MHz HyperX Blu
and Msi GTX 650 Ti Boost
The PC runs all the games that are on the market that interest me (except Farcry 4, cause UbiShit) and I tend to use medium on everything. All games at 1080p
It's not the beast machine, but it runs the games, I'm happy with it, and the only thats causing a bottleneck is the CPU. When i have the money to buy a superior CPU (maybe i'll buy a new mobo too) i'll do it. But for now, I have a diference of 10 fps on most games compared to my friends GTX660 and i7

pdensco
What you are saying is completely relative, I hear a lot of people describing a gpu by it's VRam, nowadays 2gb+ vram is only needed if your gaming at 1080p+. About the 16gb ram, it's a good idea, it's always good to have some extra ram, but 8gb it's just fine for most games nowadays and you still have space left to have chrome open. If I had the money of course I would go for the best I could get :)

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I hope u hav a titan black z cause in 2 or 3 years later u will need 1 to play gaemes in 640x480 with 15FPS

@topic, go with the i5, the extra cost is worth the investment, especially for video editing.
Also, 1x4GB is better than 2x2GB.

hmmmmmm who r u did i asked u that shit so why r u interupting dude

pdensco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Just to point out, this thread is nearly 2 years old. The OP got his answer long ago, so the advice is kinda falling on deaf ears.

You're wrong for a number of reasons, and I'm sure others would love to explain. The only thing I'll counter is your claim that games in 3 years will need 16GB of RAM. Currently the biggest memory hogging games are Minecraft and Watch Dogs. Both of these are due to poor optimisation in the code, so more has to be stored in the memory. Before that, no game would ever take more than 4GB of RAM under normal circumstances (I.e. Memory leak). Even now, Watch Dogs only states 6GB as recommended RAM.

The most common RAM for a system to have is 3GB. 4GB is generally the standard for any system sold today, whilst many opt for 6-8GB because RAM is very cheap nowadays (although that is about to change with the shift to DDR4). This means that games in development now will be designed to take no more than that, or they'd be cutting off the biggest part of the PC user base. Then there's the fact that consoles only have up to 8GB of memory, so yeah, games won't require 16GB of RAM for at least another console cycle (4-8 years).

Everything else... Someone else can have fun pointing them out

.k bro im wrong you guys kn every thing :wtf: the end

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.