Operation Supercard Rescue

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently received a DSTwo from @AkikoKumagara that I wanted to repair and ultimatly practice some of my fusion360 skills so that I could recreate and reprint the shell into working order (and maybe even have it latch without the need of epoxy)

Keep in mind, my CAD skills are very very basic so it probably wont be a full 1:1 recreation but it should ultimately end with a fitted and working shell. Once complete I also plan on sharing the files publicly on Printables

What do y'all think so far? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on the design? Afterall what better way to learn than via community feedback!
IMG_0107.jpg

dCg6Wy6.png

• Love
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear you plan to release this, since I'm apparently not the only one who had this problem. My one big piece of advice would be to figure out a way to make the front casing a little more durable. I'm not sure if there's room to make it thicker than the original, so it may come down to what materials you decide to use. That thing was so brittle...

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear you plan to release this, since I'm apparently not the only one who had this problem. My one big piece of advice would be to figure out a way to make the front casing a little more durable. I'm not sure if there's room to make it thicker than the original, so it may come down to what materials you decide to use. That thing was so brittle...
It really does feel like some dollar store grade plastic ha

I’m making test prints in PETG currently and thy already feel much much sturdier. Even in the thin parts.

I don’t think there’s much room to make it more robust but depending on how I figure out to latch the two halves together and the choice of printed plastic those two factors alone should help a ton :)

My biggest worry is not knowing what temp this SOC hits at its high point. It could cause warping if someone prints this out of PLA

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The issue with the DSTWO is those chunky chips made it hard for them to make a full case. My V1 basically uses the front sticker to keep everything inside safe and it’s nearly impossible to remove it from my 3DS. Hopefully, you are able to work around this.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue with the DSTWO is those chunky chips made it hard for them to make a full case. My V1 basically uses the front sticker to keep everything inside safe and it’s nearly impossible to remove it from my 3DS. Hopefully, you are able to work around this.
That explains why all the ones I’ve seen that have the stickers intact have such an obvious bulge above the SOC

I think I should be able to create a front half to the shell with cutouts while still being able to maintain a flat front for stickers or anything

That’s the great part with 3d printing I have a little bit more freedom with design since I can form the part layer by layer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That explains why all the ones I’ve seen that have the stickers intact have such an obvious bulge above the SOC

I think I should be able to create a front half to the shell with cutouts while still being able to maintain a flat front for stickers or anything

That’s the great part with 3d printing I have a little bit more freedom with design since I can form the part layer by layer
Yup, that’s the reason why. You might need to have a hole for the chip, it’s thicc boi.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some measurements seemed to have been slightly off. But besides that the PCB fits in nice and snug!

Gotta clean up those gaps, and figure out a way to attach the front now. Than once my PLA dries I’ll print out version 2 since I was getting some warping

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    960.9 KB · Views: 19

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Printer died on me 🙃 so this needs to be in the back burner until Amazon delivers

good news is today Black Friday sales start and this one is in its return period still

So it’s technically saving me like $250 once the return is processed ha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol