Hardware Opening amiibo packaging nicely?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thought I'd make a thread about it since no one seems to have talked about this.

The way amiibo packaging is made today pretty much forces you to rip it apart to get the amiibo out. I know there's a way to make a small incision at the bottom of the packaging to tear off the metallic strip so you can use amiibo without removing it from the packaging, however that's not what I'm looking at. I actually want to take the amiibo out, but still have the option to place it back in the packaging.

So what's the best way to open an amiibo package with minimal damage to it? I've tried warming up the sides with a blowdryer, but the adhesive is very strong and it's very difficult to get the plastic casing out of the way without damaging the cardboard. My other option was to cut out an opening at the top (from above the amiibo) however it's difficult to fish out the amiibo that way.

Has anyone managed to find a way that's nice and tidy? The reason I'm asking is so that I can place the amiibo back in its packaging so it's protected. I don't care about resale value in this situation. But I'd rather not throw away the package either. Any pointers to what I should try is welcome.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I want to do that? I actually want to, umm..., play with the amiibo. Y'know like when we all were little and played with toys? :ph34r:

And the first thing to go is Pikachu's tail. It is always the first thing to go. I can't count the number of times my boys have wanted me to tape or glue that fucking tail back on some shitty Pikachu figure. Definitely designed by an animator and not an engineer. :)

Though these seem to be holding up fairly well. My aunt bought them a Pichachu and Mario but we haven't really used them yet. I bough myself Peach last week so the boys wouldn't fight over it and I could look up her skirt. :)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Protect it from what?
I have lots and lots of things that I store in my cupboard and I prefer to keep toys and electronics stored in their own packaging so they don't collect dust. Another reason is that I have young kids in my household and that's pretty self-explanatory I hope. :)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I admit the figures are kinda cool to collect but what kills it for me is that Nintendo doesn't seem interested on making a "Waves 1-3 Bundle" because it'd be a lot better than ordering them all separately for something that's ongoing.

I've finally pre-ordered my first Amiibo and it's Ness. Thinking about Mega Man, if it doesn't run out of stock at ShopTo I'll buy it.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I admit the figures are kinda cool to collect but what kills it for me is that Nintendo doesn't seem interested on making a "Waves 1-3 Bundle" because it'd be a lot better than ordering them all separately for something that's ongoing.

I've finally pre-ordered my first Amiibo and it's Ness. Thinking about Mega Man, if it doesn't run out of stock at ShopTo I'll buy it.

35 Amiibo in wave 1-3, at £10.95 that's £383.25. Only hard core extremists would buy it and it would ruin their "waitlist" stunt.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think he was referring to common sense, but unfortunately it's far from common now days.
Well, if you or Pippin666 is suggesting I lack common sense, let me at least defend my case by quoting myself from the OP:
So what's the best way to open an amiibo package with minimal damage to it? I've tried warming up the sides with a blowdryer, but the adhesive is very strong and it's very difficult to get the plastic casing out of the way without damaging the cardboard. My other option was to cut out an opening at the top (from above the amiibo) however it's difficult to fish out the amiibo that way.
I'm asking for something specific and provided two options I've already tried. I would have accepted any kind of answer, though the video Warel referred to provided the best answer as it displayed the cardboard is thick enough at the back of the amiibo packaging to be just separated and peeled away from the plastic casing without damaging it. I didn't try that in fear of damaging the cardboard.

I really don't see what the problem is here. I can accept it if you just call me out and say I'm stupid, but saying I lack common sense for asking for advice on opening packaging nicely? What the hell

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

chevowner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you or Pippin666 is suggesting I lack common sense...

I never said that. I don't know why you are so easily insulted from things not said. I don't know anything bout you, and no where near enough to say if you do or do not have common sense. However opening a box cleanly is something that common sense would answer, and like I said before it is not common anymore.

PS
If you chose to believe that this post is saying you don't have common sense then the ignore list exists for a reason.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey chevowner, I was mainly referring to this bit:
I think he was referring to common sense, but unfortunately it's far from common now days.

I wasn't insulted and like I said, I have no problem even if someone were to call me stupid outright. I was mostly referring to what Pippin666 said. No troubles here and I never had and never will need to use ignore lists. We're good, but I respectfully disagree on that part about common sense answering how to open a box cleanly.

In my post, I specifically said I experienced trouble with the cardboard at the back of the packaging getting damaged:
The video Warel referred to proved the cardboard can be just cut away, which I didn't try after my blowdryer experiment. Now Damian666 presented yet another way to open the packaging in a nice way. And again, I was specifically asking for this kind of shared knowledge when I asked about the best way to open an amiibo package with minimal damage to it.

You are again talking about common sense. That's the part I don't understand: exactly what is wrong with asking for tips on how others approach the same problem? I know that even a monkey can open packaging, that's common sense. But again, I was asking specifically on how to do that such that the amiibo can be placed back inside without obvious signs that it has ever been opened.

P.S. Don't read too much into my words. I'm not offended / insulted / fed up / angry. I'm very calm as I write this, though my sentences are direct because I see no reason to dance around this "common sense" you're talking about. I've already found the answer I'm looking for, thanks to Warel for that and an honorable mention to Damian666 for one more "out of the box" approach.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup