CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not a new console.. and it's not exactly digital distribution either..

It lets you play games via streaming, meaning that you can play PC games without worrying about the system requirements. Game developers don't need to worry about system requirements getting more freedom to work, and it has the potential to kill piracy.

I think the idea is pretty cool, but obviously, there will be a lot of connection and lag problems. I doubt it will work well right now, most people don't have an Internet connection fast enough for that. But it's something to look forward to in 6 or 7 years, and IMO, it's where, not only gaming, but computing in a general way, is going.

edit: MTV Multiplayer has an interview: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/24/...ete-until-2022/
First impressions are good.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@senor This isn't your standard digital distribution you dipshit. maybe if you would read past the second sentence you would see that.

To summarize the article up for anyone who doesn't actually want to read it, the service is going to be able to stream content to your computer in real time without using anything but your bandwidth. This would mean something like a netbook could play crysis as long as the internet quality was good enough.

@cockroach I'm not sure this will take off too well either, but they say it has low quality streams for people with 1.5-2.0mbps and high def streams with people greater than 3mbps. i mean it could work though, but it would be hard to get going.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dont tell me they are going to use BIT TORRENT distribution methods aka NAPSTER reborn for GOOD not EVIL!

YEAH RIGHT!

and when will home broadband be adequate to accommodate live realtime game streaming ... not in the next 10 years at least ... hell some areas of the world STILL dont have more than DIALUP SPEEDS!

I'm not goin to hold my breath nor SELL my collection of NEXT GEN consoles in favor of this!

I prefer to be able to TRADE in my games now and then and actually have a HARD copy rather than digital STREAMED or DOWNLOADED!

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
kobykaan said:
Dont tell me they are going to use BIT TORRENT distribution methods aka NAPSTER reborn for GOOD not EVIL!

YEAH RIGHT!

and when will home broadband be adequate to accommodate live realtime game streaming ... not in the next 10 years at least ... hell some areas of the world STILL dont have more than DIALUP SPEEDS!

I'm not goin to hold my breath nor SELL my collection of NEXT GEN consoles in favor of this!

I prefer to be able to TRADE in my games now and then and actually have a HARD copy rather than digital STREAMED or DOWNLOADED!

lol.. Are you people reading the thing? Have any idea of what streaming means!?

The main idea here is that the thing will be cheap and let anyone with a crappy computer to run the latest games around without needing to worry about spending money on upgrades. So.. you can keep your NEXT GEN consoles.. and what the hell does Bit Torrent and Napster has to do with this? This is no P2P, you won't be downloading anything.. pay attention.

And sure, some people still have Dial up connection, but those are not gamers.. or care about this kind of thing. Anyway, broadband is getting faster and cheaper each day, computers evolve a lot faster than you think.. 10 years ago I used to pay for 56k connection the same I pay today for 5Mbps.. I think the people behind this are aware that it won't be a big hit from day one, but, maybe in 5 years.. who knows how the Internet will be?

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is actually a great idea - I can see broadband providers offering special deals bundled with this thing. However, I won't feel secure about my purchases unless I have a digital copy on my end. After all, how else will I play vidjyo gaims after the apocalypse?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, for countries like Belgium, this idea is impossible. Our internet is way too slow ( 450kb/s download max ) and I can barely survive the month with our bandwidth limit without exceeding it. This is a great idea, but Belgium will have to do a lot better regarding internet to ever make this possible.

SoLuckys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cyprus
Satangel said:
Well, for countries like Belgium, this idea is impossible. Our internet is way too slow ( 450kb/s download max ) and I can barely survive the month with our bandwidth limit without exceeding it. This is a great idea, but Belgium will have to do a lot better regarding internet to ever make this possible.
Are you saying that 450kb/s is "too" slow then what should i call my download speed( mines about 65kb/s)?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SoLuckys said:
Satangel said:
Are you saying that 450kb/s is "too" slow then what should i call my download speed( mines about 65kb/s)?

Yeah, it's too slow, especially when you see that are neighbour countries, like the Netherlands or France have way faster internet and NO bandwidthlimit for less money!
I don't know how many other countries have such bad internet, but I'm guessing there are still a lot out there. Cyprus is one of them, I think Portugal is one of them too.
I feel for you man, a couple of years ago I too had such downloadspeeds, but luckily it got a little better a year ago. You'll get there too, I really hope so.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Somehow, I think it will work with Australia. We don't have top speed internet as it is and when the govt brings in the internet censorship, that will slow it down event further.

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I don't feel this is sort of right since this is a server-base console. Imagine if the server were to be down for like maybe upgrading etc, then you will have to sit on the fence and wait ....

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
SoLuckys said:
Satangel said:

Yeah, it's too slow, especially when you see that are neighbour countries, like the Netherlands or France have way faster internet and NO bandwidthlimit for less money!
I don't know how many other countries have such bad internet, but I'm guessing there are still a lot out there. Cyprus is one of them, I think Portugal is one of them too.
I feel for you man, a couple of years ago I too had such downloadspeeds, but luckily it got a little better a year ago. You'll get there too, I really hope so.
Hmm, odd. A friend of mine has a download speed at 1.3Mbps. I am not lying since I did the speed test myself when I was at his house.
And for a download limit, there are some internet dealers(?) who offer an unlimited download limit.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Egonny said:
Satangel said:
SoLuckys said:
Satangel said:

Hmm, odd. A friend of mine has a download speed at 1.3Mbps. I am not lying since I did the speed test myself when I was at his house.
And for a download limit, there are some internet dealers(?) who offer an unlimited download limit.

Was your friend with Belgacom ADSL?
I know, but my parents won't change, because my dads work pays for our internet. So we basically have our internet for free.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
Egonny said:
Satangel said:
SoLuckys said:
Satangel said:

Was your friend with Belgacom ADSL?
I know, but my parents won't change, because my dads work pays for our internet. So we basically have our internet for free.
I don't know, I'll ask him sometimes.
I have the same too (dad's work paying for internet, laptops, BlackBerry & it's 3G connection,...), but 300kbps and a monthly 60GB download limit are enough for me, and should b enough for this Onlive console. thing. whatever.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, speed isn't really the problem for downloading, it's mainly our download limit. With 60GB in a month, I would be happy too
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER