1. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    OK Now I'm going to say WTF...

http://www.engadget....nlive-confirms/

Apparently, they decided to say "reset the damn game" to their business. They basically decided to downsize, which makes sense but had to "disappear" as a company to do so :P Smart and cruel at the same time. Either way it's business as usually and the games aren't going anywhere so I'll continue playing "LOTR: War in the North" after I'm done watching SmackDown! :D

2. LINK289

LINK289 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I enjoy the service o.o

I got Arkham Asylum for $2 and Deus Ex HR for $1. My Internet is horrible and my computer is old so I can only play them at friends houses and hotels while traveling. I am still glad I have the option to play good games whenever I get the chance xD

3. LightyKD

United States
    A trick for slower connections (aside from making sure you're using a wired connection) is to drop your screen resolution (600x480). That tends to help people with really crappy hardware or "barely making it" connections.

4. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

United States
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2012/08/17/onlive-we-are-not-going-out-of-business/

check it out.

What OnLive is saying and what is going on..is not adding up.

5. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

the technology is simply not there, not everyone has unlimited internet and high speeds with good pings.

1 person likes this.
  6. LightyKD

United States
  7. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    I've been covering this stuff lately myself for my own game news site.

Plus being on of the original Onlive Fans Cast members helps a little. (podcast thing)

From what I've gathered, the service is not shutting down.
    Not to mention any playpass has a contract of which they are abligated to host it for a minimum of three years.
    So they can't shut it down without some sort of compensation.

It all sounded like the worse but it seems they are just changing hands and moving around shares.
    All beit a little weird as they fire half thier staff and such.
    Bizaire really.

Overall the service is still operational, though I'd be wary to purchase a game till things calm down a bit.

See if they might start to get things straight for once.
    Lack of communication has been one of their biggest flaws over the years for instance.

8. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx The Dark Souls of GBAtemp

United States
    Not an OnLive user (except to test it with free demos), but I'm genuinely surprised, and a bit disappointed. I really thought they had something, there.

9. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Now that I have a very good internet connection and I was seriously thinking of getting onlive...this happens !
    I purchased ( so to speak ) the free game last week and I'm very happy and thrilled with the service,as it runs on my netbook nearly flawlessly, alto ugh I have a very good connection ( >25mbps ) I still get a slightly choppy framerate that could be due to my weak netbook hardware.
    I was actually thinking of getting a middle-of-the road laptop or even the onlive microconsole and get their playpack.
    But now, even though the service is not even remotely close to being shot down, the future doesn't seem so bright anymore and I'm not too sure I should invest money in this, or get a better PC capable of playing today's games.......Mhmmmm

10. Attila13

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    This is the reason I like to buy my games as physical or digital copies.....Because There's always the risk that a service like this has a big chance to fail, and if you purchased any games from them you won't get the game files, so if they fail, you remain with nothing.
    Oh no, you remain with something....with a hole in your pocket.

Yeah, don't panic if you're a subscriber. But if another company buy a business it's not guaranteed that they'll continue with the same thing...
    So....if you're a subscriber, then yes, you don't have to panic, because you'll still receive news from them and newsletters, but if you invested in the program and the whole thing is changed by the new owner company, than you're pretty much screwed.

11. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

This. I built a gaming computer so I could game using my hardware.

3 people like this.
  12. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I've been an OnLive user (not for a while but I used to use it frequently) and it's a quality service, it'd be a shame to see it vanish. It was a great idea that worked surprisingly well, all things considered, and I enjoyed playing on it a lot. I beat Bioshock on it, I beat Arkham Asylum on it, I beat W40K: Space Marine on it, as well as a multitude of other titles. It works well and some of the deals were really good too.

Hopefully they'll be sticking around or absorbed into a larger company like Gaikai did with Sony.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rasas

Rasas Banned
    Banned

United States
    I wonder if the 1800 number is true. If it is I don't see the company doing any better except maybe having less expenses maybe....

14. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

United States
    Okay, that one made me chuckle.

1 person likes this.
  15. LightyKD

United States
    I agree with he lack of communication situation. It looks like Steve Pearlman sole the company to (wait for it, wait for it) ... himself. Crazy because apparently it was to get out of a few contracts that was killing business. I'm glad to see that the service is still going. Hopefully, not that they have downsized, they can focus more on what's important... THE GAMES!

Quick Edit: I'm sure the will make some of that money back once OnLive sues the shit out of Gaikai because of the patents OnLive now holds! :D

16. shakirmoledina

Tanzania
    Good idea not practical like others said

17. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    ...but I just bought Saints Row 3 and Bioshock on it...

:(

18. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    If you had read the topic as well as other follow-up stories you would've known that they're downsizing through a rather sly method, they're not really going out of business.

19. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx The Dark Souls of GBAtemp

United States
    If you had read his comment, you would realize he never specified whether or not he thought that he would lose his games.

20. Snailface

OP Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

They did go out of business.
    http://kotaku.com/59...-expect-the-end
    tldr: It wasn't officially declared a bankruptcy, but they were instead bought out by investors and are being reorganized. They failed, ran out of money and are now a completely new entity.

8000 servers, 1600 concurrent subscribers at any given time. That isn't a business model.
    It's just amazing they lasted as long as they did. I hope the layed-off employees find work soon. :(

1 person likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Bankrupt, Onlive,