One more USB Loader GX Black Screen issue

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by ClassySassyChazy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ClassySassyChazy
    OP

ClassySassyChazy Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    United States
    So I have been looking around and I have found a lot of similar issues but I don't see exactly what I have done wrong But I must have because I was trying to mod 2 Wiis and had the issue on both. For the sake of time I am only focusing on one as I assume if I fix it on one, I will apply the fix to the second.

Issue: USB Loader GX can see my 10 gamecube games (sos downloaded from internet) and it can play them just fine. It sees my 10 wii games wbfs files (downloaded) but when I click them the launch screen (the screen with the start button to launch the game) is black background. If I click start the whole screen goes blank and it will just sit there until I hard boot the wii.

Gamecube games are on the HDD as /games/<game_name>/game.iso
    Wii games on on the HDD as /wbfs/<game_name [Game ID]>/<game_name>.wbfs

I am using a 500G external hard drive (spinning not ssd but not sure if that matters)

USB Loader GX Rev1271 IOS249 (Rev 21008) +AHB d2x v8final base57
    Followed Guide Made from me by ModMii (Attaching workplan) I will note I had done other stuff from other wikis before I found ModMii but I followed that workplan to the letter since I had read essentially it would remod the wii and fix most things if I did something wrong before.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Other notes
    I am using the USB0 (closest to the edge)
    I have tried resetting USB Loader GX to defaults (even though I really hadn't changed anything to begin with)

I hope I got most if not all of your usual questions out of the way to save you a bit of time. and I thank you for your help

Attached Files:

2. RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    United States
    It sounds to me like the wbfs game files are corrupted. Have you tried launching them through WiiFlow or USB Cfg. You could also test them through Dolphin from your PC. I had a similar experience, recently my HDD was dropped around 8 inches while plugged into Wii. Long story short, i recovered most of my files but alot of my Wii wbfs files were corrupted "Good thing I had a majority of them backed up on another HDD", and only a few GC were corrupted. I used the Dolphin emulator to do my testing. The black background on start screen is Exactly the same issue as I had, some games would actually launch and hang at warning screen but most were the dreaded Black screen you are experiencing. Good Luck

3. bigwillyg

bigwillyg Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2018
    United States
    Rename from <game_name>.wbfs to <gameID>.wbfs. That fixed the wii game black screen issue for me

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bigwillyg, Apr 15, 2019
  4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Please can you tell us,how did you get your Wii Games on your HDD ? Which tool you use ?
    Thank you.

5. ClassySassyChazy
    OP

ClassySassyChazy Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2019
    United States
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I figured it out based of bigwillyg's input.

For documentation you know how I said.

"Wii games on on the HDD as /wbfs/<game_name [Game ID]>/<game_name>.wbfs"

Turns out I lied.
    I had the Wii Files on the hard drive in the following format
    /wbfs/<game_name> [<Game ID>]/<game_name> [<Game ID>].wbfs

Once I took out the [] from the file name it worked no problem. I don't know why I did that considering the instructions don't say too. But in any case I did the following test.
    I changed the name to the following and all work perfectly.

/wbfs/<game_name [Game ID]>/<game_name>.wbfs
    /wbfs/<game_name [Game ID]>/<Game ID>.wbfs #note NO BRACKETS []
    /wbfs/<game_name [Game ID]>/game.wbfs

In the end I settled on naming my games <game id>.wbfs as bigwillyg suggested. For no reason other than I liked it.

Because I don't like leaving unanswered questions.
    @RunningSnakes All my wmfs's worked fine in dolphin (even with the bad file names)
    @alexander1970 I ripped one of my games using USB Loader itself. the other nine I downloaded the titles that I had in my collection as that was quicker than ripping them all. However I did go through all them and "normalized" the file structure and file names before I tested any of the games.

Again all,

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND GUIDANCE.

6. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Thank you for your detailed reply and your feedback.
    Glad to her that all is ok and now you can have fun with your Wii.:yaywii: