WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have seen a comparison video, screenshots and read many comments of users of several sites regarding Sony's decision to replace the OLED screen with an LCD screen for the Vita 2000. The official statement of Sony on the matter is that they chose a high quality LCD screen that has an OLED like quality and it allowed them to slim the console down (I guess OLED screens require more space?).

I have compiled a pro and contra list based on what I saw and read:

OLED pro:

- Viewing angle
- No screen tearing issues (unconfirmed)
- Better anti-aliasing (unconfirmed)

OLED contra:

- Too strong color saturation / Colors too inaccurate
- Higher risk of burn-ins
- Shorter lifespan
- Screen looks darker
- Power consumption

LCD pro:

- Games look more realistic
- Lower risk of burn-ins
- Bigger lifespan
- Brightness is more flexible
- Power consumption

LCD contra:

- Viewing angle
- Screen tearing issues (unconfirmed)
- Anti-aliasing issues (unconfirmed)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While I agree that the OLED does consume a lot of power, does have a shorter lifespan and does have issues with the infamous blobs or streaks when displaying dark colours at certain angles, I gotta say that it's one bright motherf***er - easily the brightest screen I've ever used on a mobile device and the colours don't seem inaccurate to me - they're realistic and rich.

As for the unconfirmed antialiasing part of your post, this is really just a matter of pixel density. OLED pixels can be even smller than the smallest particle visible by the human eye hence the displayed picture appears to be incredibly uniform rather than like a collection of pixels. As for Sony's reasoning behind the switch, it was mostly to cut the costs - LCD is a tried and true technology, it's cheap to implement and it's less prone to malfunctioning.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
LCD facing lot's of problem since the first major release on market
too expensive, too dark, too bright, too hot, ghosting, low refresh rates, color quality, etc

But, it became popular and most people don't want to stare at their Big & Bulky old CRT screen anymore (heck, I still have 3 CRT monitor that no one willing to use)
with new IPS Panel (which isn't exactly new until recently) it's even better (source: http://www.slrlounge.com/what-is-an-ips-monitor-understanding-ips-displays)
I don't even have IPS Panel based LCD, the only recent technology I have for Viewing is LED LCD which I think it's good for design, since the color is more accurate without have to tweak it.

so can OLED get better?
will it replace any technology currently for viewing screen?
I can only assume if people demand for it, then it will get better, but not today or tomorrow, or even next year...
probably it will become obsolete eventually.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Would this correct or fix that infamous black smudges the OLED models have???

My friend bought a Assassins Creed Limited white model and was mad as Fudge thinking it was a faulty screen only to find out it affected all models.........
From what I read about OLEDs those black smudges are an OLED issue and using LCDs will likely fix this although it's not guaranteed.

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Too bad OLED is more susceptible to burn-in than a regular LCD
Which isn't really an issue if one were to properly utilize the Vita's sleep/screen shut of functions and aren't unholy retarded enough to let it sit for hours on end at the same scene plugged into a charger with full brightness doing nothing.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which isn't really an issue if one were to properly utilize the Vita's sleep/screen shut of functions and aren't unholy retarded enough to let it sit for hours on end at the same scene plugged into a charger with full brightness doing nothing.

Well yeah, but it still has its drawbacks.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OLED is the technology of the future. Although currently LCD is by far more mature and has many of its older drawbacks adressed up to a point. OLED still has way to go to become the primary technology for screens, but i believe we will get there eventually. I believe the biggest problem is color accuracy, but for most consumers this is irrelevant*. This is a main issue for professionals only...

*Consumers didn't have a problem with LCD TN panels for many years, although TN panels have terrible color accuracy...

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OLED still has way to go to become the primary technology for screens, but i believe we will get there eventually. I believe the biggest problem is color accuracy, but for most consumers this is irrelevant
Well, I'm a consumer and I don't want realistic looking games like MGS and Uncharted to look too cartoonish.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, I'm a consumer and I don't want realistic looking games like MGS and Uncharted to look too cartoonish.

Poor choice of games. Those are not realistic looking... At least not yet. The next MGS seems to bridge the gap.

And OLED screens do not look cartoonish. They just have a different color tone...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I thought the black vita in that video had the best color representation. the wite one had too much saturation, which reminds me of a friend back in the n64 days, who always cranked up the saturation on his tv. it looked horrible!
In Ocarina of Time, the gorons were practically red.

The one thing that I can see on that video that the white one has better, is the viewing angle. But on a handheld console like this, it won't matter. I'm always facing the screen right on when I'm playing.
Now, I'd have to see them both in real life and up close to see how the "details" look... but from that video I'm perfectly happy with LCD.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to clarify something I notice some discoloration when playing my Vita in the dark during the dark loading screen. I see a bunch of black blobs. I take it that is normal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning